Home networking issues

Reaction score
Before I upgraded both of the computers in my home to Windows 10, my Blu-Ray player could see the .avi files on my computers and play them. Since upgrading to Windows 10, the Blu-Ray player can't see the local network.

I thought to myself, maybe it's because my Windows 10 network (which has worked fine between the two Win10 computers) is running without a homegroup. So I created a homegroup. Still no help with the Blu-Ray player (it's a Sharp brand, BTW) but as soon as I created the homegroup, neither of the networked computers can access anything on the other computer, It's asking for credentials to log into the other computer with.

Well, I tried the name of my computer on the network, and the homegroup password. No luck. Tried the name of the other computer I was trying to access and the homegroup password. Still no luck, same issue.

So, I said to myself, it was working fine without the homegroup, so I exited the homegroup. Network and Sharing Center now says there are no homegroups on the network.

But I still get the $%$E@ prompt to enter my credentials! So does the other computer.

This is getting us to where we're gonna throw these computers through the window and go buy some Macs.

Why the bloody hell won't the computers see each other now without credentials that have never been set up in the first place????

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
So -- am I to understand that two Win 10 computers that had happily been sharing files are now irrevocably separated because I made the fatal error of trying to set up a homegroup?

Homegroups are permanent network-access-killers? BTW -- neither computer could connect to each other whether the homegroup was set up or not, after I first tried setting the freakin' homegroup up. As soon as I set up the homegroup, the system seems to have applied a requirement that each computer must now have a Go To The Microsoft Store For Your Every Breath account or you'll never see your loved ones alive again,.

Not nice people, these Windows 10 networking designers. They want to hold our network interconnectivity ransom until we just Do As We're Told and Sign Up for the Store Because We Can't Keep Grabbing Your Wallet Unless You Come Into The Store!

NEITHER computer is set up with a Microsoft account. On purpose. And never will be. If the rapaciously greedy idiots who designed this decided that, once you set up a homegroup, you now have to sell your soul to the Microsoft store in order to ever connect to your network computers again, I see class action suits coming down the line REAL fast,

I'm sorry if I seem frustrated. But connecting two freakin' computers should not be so difficult, and accidentally creating a homegroup to see if that would let me connect a Blu-Ray player to my home network, as it was capable of doing under Windows 7, seems like more than just too hard -- it really, truly feels like MS just can't STAND that it doesn't have my debit card number on file, just waiting for me to slip up so they can start charging on it,.

C'mon -- prove me wrong. Tell me how I get my freakin' computers to access each other again!!!!!

Reaction score
After restarting each computer at least a dozen times each, the laptop FINALLY saw that I was inviting it to join a homegroup. (Nothing else worked but to try and make the homegroup work, even though it's far and away not the desired resolution.) I even did a system restore to a restore point back to four days ago, and that didn't stop the system from insisting that I didn't have credentials to connect to the laptop.

Now they are seeing each other. For the moment. Which leaves us with my original issue of how to get this Blu-Ray player to connect to my network -- it connects to the internet through an ethernet connection to my gateway (pulls up internet apps just fine), but unlike what it did when my computer ran Win7, it can't see that it connects to the network. And so can't see the files I want to play through it. Now that my system is Forever Homegroup Locked, I doubt there's a chance in hell it ever will.

Oh, and, BTW -- I was able to satisfy myself to every reasonable doubt that not even a microsoft account uid/pw let me present accepted credentials to connect to the laptop, and vice-versa. So, it really looks like, once you try to set up a homegroup, you can't connect any other way. Ever.

So, I repeat -- Not Nice People who designed this. It needs to be fixed. It's BROKEN.

Reaction score
Is the network on all your computers set to 'private'? All they all in the same workgroup, preferably 'Workgroup'? I have seen this before back in an old Insider build and ensuring all the computers were set to Private and then with network discovery turned on fixed everything except the Homegroup. For that I had to have every computer in the house turn off homegroup and reboot and IIRC it took a couple of days before the homegroup actually disappeared....and I have lived without a homegroup ever since

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it can't see that it connects to the network
Determine the IP address of the BlueRay player and see if you can ping it by IP address from your Windows 10 computer.
Open
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers
Do you see it there?
Open
File explorer and in the left panel (navigation pane) click on network.
Do you see it there?

Reaction score
Have similar problem as when trying to access Home Group asks for password. This is on either of my two computers. Asks for password which I do not know. Cannot reset password even though following instructions given as there is no reset password screen or drop down box etc. Cannot reset Home Group or even remove Home Group. Both Laptop and Desktop are running latest Windows 10.

Ask a Question