Homegroup & network

Reaction score
I am trying to connect my Windows 10 laptop to my Windows 10 PC. I have enabled all the sharing setup and both machines are detected but that is as far I can go. Each time I try to join the homegroup (on PC) I am told that no network exists. Both machines are on the same network system and work fine on the internet. I seem to be having laptop problems since Windows 10 was installed although the PC is OK. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been doing Computer Networking since before Windows.
DOS, LANtastic, CoAx cable, BNC Connectors and terminators.
I'm 65 years old and 10 years retired from the industry and still today I get calls from former colleagues and associates when they run into Network issues.
But still when I see a network question with the word HomeGroups in it, I can't help but cringe.

To quote someone who I admire and respect “Homegroups at there best are bad.”
That’s probably more a paraphrase than an exact quote, since I don’t remember who said it or when I read it. But seriously, can’t we all just agree that perhaps Homegroups is not all that handy. They seem to generate more problems than they solve.

Simply make sure that your computers are all members of the same workgroup (you can see it in system properties).
Make sure that they all have an IP address in the same subnet
Make sure you can ping from one to the other by both IP address and NetBIOS name (you can also see that name in system properties)
AND
Probably most importantly, make sure you do not have a third party security suite install, as everyone of them can have an impact on your ability to network your computers.
If you do..... uninstall it and then uninstall it again using the vendor specific proprietary removal tool (GOOGLE IT ie; norton removal tool)
Afterwards you can reinstall it and see what happens.

If you're good on all of the above, then Windows networking will just simply work, out of the box, with no need for HomeGroups or the "sharing wizard"
The only thing you might encounter is an access denied error and that is most likely related to a credentials issue which can generally be resolved by....
First not trying to use blank "no" passwords, it just won't work unless you know how to configure group policy to support it.
Second, using the correct format when establishing your credentials. Including the machine name that you are attempting to access followed by a backslash
ThePcName\TheUserName
P@$$W0rd (for that user on that machine, not on your machine).

Share your folders and or files (properties dialog box) using share permissions (sharing tab, advanced sharing button) and NTFS permissions which are under the security tab. Grant the appropriate user the appropriate permissions for your environment.
Please keep share names brief and intuitive and without spaces. This will make them easier to type using UNC (Universal Naming Convention) such as
\\computername\sharename.

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, under the WINS tab, within the properties of your network interface card.
type
services.msc
into the search box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

Ask a Question