How can I encrypt an image (or document) to email it securely?

Reaction score
Hello

What is the best way to email a document or image to someone securely, without them needing to install any special applications?

e.g. I need to send a passport photograph to someone.

One option would be to zip it up using the free utility 7-zip, and add a password to the archived Zip file, however business computers often stop their normal users from installing any applications. I don't need "industrial strength" encryption just something basic but with a good password should do.

Any thoughts?

J

Reaction score
The trouble with any web based option is
a) What does it cost?
b) If free what is their business model - and how can we trust it?

I was very much hoping that Microsoft might have built some sort of encryption into Windows 10... no?

Reaction score
I have a simple way. But I do not know whether or not, it is foolproof.
You could copy an image to a word document and save that document as .odt file.
.odt format is used very rarely as most people use.docx format most of the time.

If they can open a .odt file then it is plain bad luck.

Reaction score
Surely .odt is "Open Document Text"? This is a very standard format. In fact I think msWord can open it, no?

Doesn't sound remotely secure to me!

Reaction score
I use Rar or 7z to encrypt and then and the receiver knows the (pre arranged pass). and never a issue...

Reaction score
The trouble with any web based option is
a) What does it cost?
b) If free what is their business model - and how can we trust it?

I was very much hoping that Microsoft might have built some sort of encryption into Windows 10... no?
and yes Windows has a encrypt program built in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Encrypt is what it is called. as i recall MS tells you to right click file or folder, look and click Advanced and either compress or encrypt.

1590687222350.png

It is very strongly recommended you backup your Key to a external USB.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Encrypt is what it is called. as i recall MS tells you to right click file or folder, look and click Advanced and either compress or encrypt.

View attachment 11785
It is very strongly recommended you backup your Key to a external USB.
6.jpg

As you can see my friend that Encrypt option is shown as disabled for WIN10Home users. May be it's available only for WIN10Pro users.

Reaction score
Yes, Winzip 7 works, however it requires whoever I send the file to, to have installed it.
This is not always possible in business.

Reaction score
then find out what they use. since every business i do "work for" uses some form of compress.
then make sure they have a proper key.
support Microsoft compressed files
By default Windows can natively open zip files using Windows explorer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, Winzip 7 works, however it requires whoever I send the file to, to have installed it.
This is not always possible in business.
Hi Ship69,

even if you use WinZip or similar app, anyone hijacking your mail can open it if they have a zip app installed, it is not secure just compressed unless you apply a password to the file. If you don't want to pay any money, your options are limited if you cannot afford it.

Create a PDF file and try the following but the info is old but may work???????. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF YOUR FILE(S) BEFORE YOU START!.

http://www.auxiliary.com/it/documents/Password_Protect_Email_Attachment.pdf :)

Ask a Question