How to Encrypt a File + How to Shred a PW-Protected File

Reaction score
Desktop (new Lenovo). Windows 10 post Anniversary Update. I am the Admistrator.

I would prefer a free solution for both.

ENCRYPT

My Excel 2013 No .1 file. I want to Encrypt it:

R. click on file > Properties > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. It doesn't work. Its greyed out for all files. (See attachment 1):
ghghty.JPG

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
SHRED:

My Excel 2013 file No 2, which has a PW. I want to shred it. I have the free version of AVG.(See attachment 2):

ghghty-02.JPG

PCWorld reviewed File Secure Free, at:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2578...folders_and_drives_with_file_secure_free.html

It does both (and more). Is it any good? Anything else?

Grateful for help on these two tasks please.

Reaction score
Still stuck on encrypting a file, but I am now using EasyShred (free) by SMTP Software Ltd). It places a shortcut on the desktop and dragging a file to it will shred it, even if it has a PW. So simple to use.

Reaction score
Stevekir What version of Win 10 are you running, Home or Pro version, Win 10 Pro uses Bit Locker to encrypt files.
Home version may not support encryption? I'm running the Pro version and the encrypt option is available.

Reaction score
Stevekir What version of Win 10 are you running, Home or Pro version, Win 10 Pro uses Bit Locker to encrypt files.
Home version may not support encryption? I'm running the Pro version and the encrypt option is available.
Windows 10 Home. I can live without it being encrypted. Thanks.

Ask a Question