How Can I Force Uninstall Update KB3140741?

Reaction score
I'm currently stuck in safe mode and I believe its because of this update. Can't find a system restore point, I'm being stubborn and do not want to do a clean install. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

From the problems I've seen, a lot are monitor related. If this is why you're stuck in safe mode - ie no monitor working in regular mode - try reverting the monitor driver to the prior version using device manager under control panel. (You need to say why you're stuck in safe mode). I believe your can still create restore points under safe mode, so be sure to do that first so you can revert.

And from what I can tell, you can not create a boot DVD in Win 10, so if you upgrade or buy a manufacturer computer that does NOT provide a DVD, the only thing to do is create a "recovery disk" using a ("large") flash drive - ie,

fwiw: SYSTEM RESTORE - under Windows 10, automatic restore points kept deleting older restore points, leaving only 1. From what I'd observed on the web help sites, no solution exists. I found a simple one - under Task Scheduler, even disabling the Restore Point schedule did not work, so I simply edited the name of the program being executed - added my initials to the end before .exe - and now it can not find the program and fails., which is SUCCESS - my manually created restores points - ALL of them - remain. I manually create weekly, at least, because Win 10 updates are buggy!

Reaction score
Been using Windows since 3.11. Dumped updates on it like they were a bucket of Skittles. Encountered rare problems and never did I encounter an update that was DESIGNED to not let me uninstall it.

I think the link under #11 has a MSFT program for uninstalling updates if you run into problems.

Reaction score
Okay this is strange....I LOOSENED one of the screws on my DVI cable where it connects to the computer and the monitor suddenly detected and came on o_O

Now I know what you're thinking: The connection wasn't solid. But even when it wasn't working this screen did come on during the Windows boot sequence. Not to mention it's been working for months before that. And no I'm not one of those guys who torques a cable screw until you need a screwdriver to get it out.

It's very peculiar but it's possible (just possible) that the update didn't cause the issue. I may play around with the cable some more but for now my monitors are all working and I'm not sure I want to screw that up.

Reaction score
Can't uninstall the update but depending how long you've had 10, maybe you can go back to the previous build.

I was able find a back door to a restore point by right clicking on desktop to get into control panel, messing around a bit until I was able to run a trouble shooter. The restore link in trouble shooter allowed me to find a restore point that worked on the second try. That gave me a functional system but without my browser passwords.

Reaction score
When I built this computer last year it originally had Windows 8.1 64-bit. From the beginning there were problems with my 3 monitor setup. The one on the DVI connection would always say "No Signal Detected!" and Windows would absolutely refuse to acknowledge it was there. Unless that is I disabled/enabled the Intel 4400 driver. Then all 3 monitors would work perfectly until the next time the computer slept or was turned off.

I tried 3 or 4 times to upgrade to Windows 10 but the problem was magnified to the point that resetting the driver would blow up all 3 monitors. So I'd end up rolling back to Windows 8.1 again. Until one day I restarted Windows 8.1 and the monitor stayed on. I restarted a few times to be sure but it seemed clear the issue was fixed. By (I assume) a Windows update. So I happily upgraded to Windows 10. That was about 3 months ago.

Flash forward to this morning. My computer was on all night and it installed KB3140741. All of a sudden the 3rd monitor is dark :mad: Restarting has no effect. Neither does resetting the driver. When I realized an update had been installed I tried to uninstall it but there's no option. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode but still can't do it. From what I can tell this is one of Microsoft's "important" updates that they couldn't possibly let the great unwashed masses fool around with.

I hadn't yet enabled System Restore before this time, so I appear to be hosed. I posted a question on Microsoft's community but I don't know when or if they'll bother responding. There's got to be some other way to remove this update. Anyone know a way?

It is possible but takes a lot of time and fine combing thru your system and services. First, UNPLUG the sucker from the internet then go to restore and roll back your installation. There will be an option to keep your files. Once you are finished it will reboot. Go immediately to settings and turn off EVERYTHING, apps, you name it. Comb through the entire settings panel. Once you have done that then go to services and stop and disable everything that is on manual and some of the automatic starts will need to be stopped. Disable them as well. This can be tricky as some services will not allow you to do this or it we destabilize your computer. Warnings will appear. Make sure you know what you are doing before applying the new settings. Then restart your machine and check for installed updates. You should be good to go. Hope this helps. I just did it and it works like a charm. No more updates :)

Reaction score
IObit Uninstaller
might help you all now or latter on.
this is not a link just search for it in your search engine and download it.
at this time it is free.

Ask a Question