SOLVED How do I disable the Lock Screen?

Reaction score
When I start up my lap top, this new Windows 10 has the lock screen. It has that picture of the sea and rocks etc. All I need to do is click it and it disappears .. but I don't want the nuisance lock screen. I don't have a touch screen, I still use my mouse and pad. This lock screen is just another click I have to do to get started. Can any one help me on how to disable the lock screen.

Reaction score
Hm-m-m, strange, when I downloaded the link, and tapped Run, I couldn't find anything to do next! Couldn't even close this tab, or the browser. Finally had to close Edge using the task manager (cntrl/alt/delete). :(

Reaction score
Read the instructions under Option Two.

Don't take for granted that you know what to do with the Download.

1. Select the Download.
2. Save it to the desktop.
3. Right click at the desktop reg. file.
4. Click Merge.
5. Click Yes > Yes > OK.
Restart to verify.

Reaction score
Have a look at this tutorial ..................
How to Enable or Disable the Lock Screen in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6567-lock-screen-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Use option Two. It's easier.
Thanks David for your help. I did the down load of the link to disable the Lock Screen. However, my Windows said it was from an unknown publisher. It said if I continued it may harm my computer. So erring on the side of caution, I did not continue with it. However, I found another link which showed me how to do it myself. It took much longer, but it worked. I now have no nuisance Lock Screen when I start.
This is the link ...
http://blog.laptopmag.com/disable-lock-screen-windows-10
When it says open the registry, it means the RUN key. I found it by right clicking my start menu.

Thanks once again. You have given me hope with my Windows 10. I will keep looking to you for advice.

Take care. God bless. Ken.

Reaction score
I knew of that tutorial.
I did not give it to you because of just that..... registry editing.
I do not want the possibility of damaging the computer. One unknowing wrong move could do just that.

As to the "unknown publisher" message. Just a standard operating procedure. I faintly remember long ago I downloaded something from Microsoft site and I got a similar message.
The tutorial was compiled by a well known expert whom we trust explicitly and that forum has a treasure trove of excellent tutorials mainly because of the same person. I would not give you something from a shaddy source.

Anyway, you have it sorted. That's all that matters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I knew of that tutorial.
I did not give it to you because of just that..... registry editing.
I do not want the possibility of damaging the computer. One unknowing wrong move could do just that.

As to the "unknown publisher" message. Just a standard operating procedure. I faintly remember long ago I downloaded something from Microsoft site and I got a similar message.
The tutorial was compiled by a well known expert whom we trust explicitly and that forum has a treasure trove of excellent tutorials mainly because of the same person. I would not give you something from a shaddy source.

Anyway, you have it sorted. That's all that matters.
Thanks David. You are so cool. Wow, I didn't know that it is often a standard procedure to give the warning. I trust you so much, but I was a bit frightened. God bless. Talk soon. Ken.

Reaction score
OK then so this person is happy and can utilise the ideas put forward and so the problem is solved? So can he tell us HOW he got from the login screen to the actual START SCREEN if he cannot enter the password? I.E. No password no start screeñ? Or am I missing something! And if it is the live account password, then why does it not work anyway? See I use a password manager (Dashlane) so had to look on my tablet to access the password anyway(obviously cannot use windows!) And believe you me the password is pretty good! But no use to me it appears as I cannot input it to make it work and so cannot use win 10 or more importantly, MY OWN COMPUTER!! Now how about marking it as WORK IN PROGRESS and actually putting up an actual working solution?

Regards

Chris Goddard

Reaction score
"When I start up my lap top, this new Windows 10 has the lock screen. It has that picture of the sea and rocks etc. All I need to do is click it and it disappears .."

chrisgodd, I think this is the same problem I have. It's not that he doesn't know the password, there is none. What happened to me is that after upgrading to Windows 10, there was no lock screen. I synced with my Microsoft acct, and then there was a lock screen. Wanting my family to be able to access without the hassle, I went back to a local acct, and now there's always that lock screen, with no password. just another click, but a tedious nuesance.

Reaction score
Let it be known, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL.

With that being said, if your problem is the same as mine above, I found the solution. Though you disconnected from your Microsoft acct to a local acct, Start up still knows there's two possible accts. So...

Windows button>click on acct at top left>select "change account settings">
scroll to bottom of "your account" page where you will see your Microsoft account sitting>click on it and you will have the option to "remove"

I did this, restarted, and all was back to normal. No reg edit, no downloads.

Hope it helps someone else.

Ask a Question