How do I disable Windows Policy for idle lock?

Reaction score
I configured Mail in Windows 10 and one of the accounts that I added changed what happens when my machine is idle. After one minute my machine locks.

There is about a million places in a PC you can modify this setting but I can't find this instance of it and it's really annoying. :( Does anyone know where these settings/policies are set?

I have searched in the registry and in policies so far without success. Again there are a million places...

Reaction score
grp.PNG
You can try the CP and then Power or settings/personalization/lockscreen. Or in Group Policy shown above

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for answering!

I have set the Group Policy now (enabled) and even rebooted. That unfortunately does nothing.

What is CP?

None of the settings for power (including advanced) or security change anything. They are not set to not go to sleep and not to shut off the screen.

In theory from these settings my computer should stay on "forever", but it doesn't.

The hunt for the hidden setting continues! ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
After one minute my machine locks.
Can you explain what you mean, when you say it "locks"
Normally we might interpret that as frozen and un-recoverable.
Can you wake the machine normally with a keyboard strike or a mouse movement?
Do you have to hard reset the machine with the power button?
Do you have a blank screen saver set for 1 minute?

Reaction score
Yes I do apologize. Realize that it sounds like I'm saying the machine freezes. That's not what I meant. I mean that the screen goes black and then goes out to the logon screen. Inactivity that leads to me having to enter my password to get back in. Normally these are settings you can set yourself if you want this sort of behavior. But normally you can also disable this behavior if you don't want it. Mine is not enabled because I don't want that but it still functions in that way. And this happened after I added my Mail accounts and applied the policy changes that came with them. Had I known this would happen I would have never agreed to this policy. Did that become more clear? Sorry again for the confusion.

Ask a Question