How do I force all folders to show all files instead of custom files?

WHL

Reaction score
It's doing my head in! Usually the file I want is in all files/images and no in the custom files.
How can I force my computer to show all files as the default?

Reaction score
Think of your computer as a Library. If you fail to keep all the books organized. You may not find a book when you want it. I blame this problem on Microsoft. The issue goes all the way back to Windows 95. I've never used their predefined locations for files. The problem is even worse now that "File Libraries" have been added. Manage your own files. You will always know where they are.

In response to your question. You don't actually want that. You don't want to list every image in one listing. Depending on the application. There could be thousands of clipart and thumbnails locked away in special folders. You would be lost in a landfill looking for your lost trash.

WHL

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford for your reply but that doesn't help.
eg I've got a politics folder with just over 500 images. My computer only usually shows roughly 200 of them as custom files. But invariably the one I want is in all files. I have lots of folders with varying amounts of files/images and they always show custom files instead of all files. How can I make the default action be 'all files'

Reaction score
Not sure if this will be of use to you. I have used this third party tool for some years. It is far more wide ranging than the windows explorer.

Download for free

Have a browse around the options and see if it is of use to you

WHL

Reaction score
Not sure if this will be of use to you. I have used this third party tool for some years. It is far more wide ranging than the windows explorer.

Download for free

Have a browse around the options and see if it is of use to you
Thanks for your reply Dave but I don't think that is what I want.
If I have a folder of 500 images then at my age I cannot remember their names so I look at the thumbnails.
That is why I need the default setting to be all files so that I can look at all the images.

Reaction score
Understood. The prog I linked would allow you to open all, for example, .jpg files etc.

Ask a Question