SOLVED How do I pin shortcut to taskbar

Reaction score
I have created a new shortcut and want to pin it to the taskbar to replace the one I just deleted there. But now I can't find how to pin it. I tried dragging it and it didn't do anything. I tried the right click and there is nothing there to say Pin to Taskbar. Where do I find that?

Reaction score
The choices I get when right-clicking a Shortcut on the Desktop, bottom item in the first/upper section:
1603415068389.png

Reaction score
This is what I get when I right-click. I recently loaded Windows 10 2004 -- suppose that is the problem? The last time I ever pinned to the taskbar, I thought my right-click looked like yours.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
Looks like yours may be an actual file, a .bat file I have on the desktop shows a context menu similar to yours and it can't be put on the Taskbar. A shortcut on the desktop, by default, has a small arrow on the lower left of it.

Aside: some folks like to remove that arrow and it can cause an issue in identifying whether it's a shortcut to an executable command like .exe or .bat or if it is the actual file, can end up deleting the wrong thing and making a program unusable.

Reaction score
Nope -- it is a shortcut. Pic attached.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
Okay. Can you right-click the Chrome icon in the Start menu or maybe its Tile and then click More and choose Pin to taskbar?

Reaction score
Found that and pinned it, but it didn't show up. I clicked on the Chrome icon already in the taskbar and it opened a new window, but had to log in. Shut down, rebooted. Now each and EVERYthing I click on, I have to RE-sign in all over. Have to look up passwords, and my online banking again gives me the message that it looks like I am using a different computer.

Reaction score
As for the sign-in issues, that happens when cleaning out the Cookies that Web sites drop onto the computer and can happen if an Upgrade had problems or the Windows Reset or Reinstall was used. A Cookie shows the site you've been there before and assists in the auto entering. And having had to help a client with a similar bank issue just yesterday it does show as a different computer to their server, sometimes there may also be a choice when when connecting through a different Router/ISP/Hot Spot. It's all in the identifying of the computer. I'd also do a double-check in Settings that the computer is still Activated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This time after relogging in to my gmail and got it opened, I right clicked on the Chrome icon which showed up in the taskbar and pinned it to the taskbar. Then restarted the system and when I got it back, clicked on the taskbar instead of the gmail shortcut. It did not give me the gmail, but just Chrome, but I already had the gmail in the property bar, so opened it there, and can again open the ones I just re-signed into before the restart, incl banking. But this has been happening - the losing the automatic opening of things -- over and over, so I am afraid to ever shut down the computer

Reaction score
When I said i had to re-sign into EVERYthing, I also meant logging into this Forum. And another thing -- when I was not able to get gmail till I re-logged in there, I had tried Firefox instead, and the gmail came up there with no issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just shut down and tried to get back in. Had to re-log in AGAIN. Including again to this Forum. Now will have to go back and relog into all the others. This seems to no longer be just a pin to taskbar issue. I may never turn off this computer. HELP

Reaction score
Log into your GMail account on Google Chrome, click the three vertical dots in the upper right corner, scroll down to "More tools", click "Create shortcut", then "Create". Find the shortcut on the desktop, right-click and select "Pin to Taskbar". Also, many forums, including this one, have a "Stay logged in" checkbox that can be used when logging in.

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks Ben, I tried this in gmail and I also checked on the Open as Window , so now have a different shortcut and it opens in a view without bothering to open Chrome as a full browser. Interesting. Also interesting, I can do a right-click on this new shortcut and I get the view of options - like pinning to taskbar - like Bighorn had shown, rather than the smaller view in the one I posted earlier. Am attaching the new right-click options.
But if I want to do more in Chrome, I still have to use the other shortcut, which is okay. And somehow, the Start button suddenly showed gmail under the Chrome icon (before I created the new one out of the gmail Tools), and I was able to pin it to the taskbar from there like Bighorn told me about earlier, and it opens it along with the whole browser. Since I created the shortcut via gmail tools, the Start now has two icons for gmail.
So now only the issue will be if all these will work without having to sign in first.
I guess I could consider the pin to taskbar issue as solved. Just haven't completely solved the issue of losing the automatic logins. I tried clearing my cookies a couple weeks ago, but have not done so since and I am accepting cookies. Afraid to shut down for fear of not getting the automatic logins next time.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
And also interesting, the shortcut I created from Gmail tools looks different than the the one I created on the Windows desktop. Compare this with my earlier shortcut above. Perhaps this is different because it opens only a window of the email and not the whole Chrome browser.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
You might try making a new shortcut, this time without checking the "Open as Window" checkbox and pin it to the taskbar.

Ben

Reaction score
I thought about that, but will wait to see if I end up having to relog in again next time when I click on the one I already have in the taskbar. Am going to keep my options open. I kind of like having the ability to open the sole window if I only want to see email. Will see...

But I have used gmail for years and never knew I could make any shortcuts from it. The only way I knew to do it was to right-click on the desktop. So thanks, Ben.

Reaction score
I'm going to code Solved now. I think I have the pin to taskbar stuff working. I was able to get into things this morning without re-signing in, but if that starts to continue happening, I will post a new thread re that.

Ask a Question