How do I resolve Error code 0x80070103?

Reaction score
Report read, "ELAN DRIVER UPDATE FOR ELAN INPUT DEVICE - ERROR 0x80070103". This follows istall of Build 10074.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you attempted to install the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website for your touchpad.
I suspect that the Windows 8 driver should work in a pinch. Just make sure that you're getting the proper driver for your system architecture (32 or 64 bit).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've tried your suggestion without success. These failures started on 1st May. On the same day an addition to my Program Files was made called ELANTECH. It contains loads of .avi and .exe files all of which concern the keyboard or the touchpad. I think this could be connected to the fact that my keyboard is very unresponsive. I've also found that a driver (Touchpad Driver (Synaptics, Elan)) was installed on 5th May. The keyboard works OK on the sign on page but doesn't after sign up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This sounds a bit like Windows 10's propensity for installing less than optimal drivers for hardware devices through Windows Updates.
Have you tried using device manager to perhaps roll back the driver to the previous version just to see if that helps?
I'm afraid that, that is only a temporary potential fix for the issue as Windows 10 will likely install the driver update again when next you check for updates.

Reaction score
This sounds a bit like Windows 10's propensity for installing less than optimal drivers for hardware devices through Windows Updates.
Have you tried using device manager to perhaps roll back the driver to the previous version just to see if that helps?
I'm afraid that, that is only a temporary potential fix for the issue as Windows 10 will likely install the driver update again when next you check for updates.
ihave same trouble my pc HP pavillon V7Synaptics Touchpad .after get dps wachdog irollback previous version it work ok . but window 10 install the driver up date again .what can i do . ??? please help thank you

Reaction score
I also, am having the same trouble with my Lenovo laptop, I have found that resetting the touchpad settings help with the responsiveness of the device, at least for me it helped.

Reaction score
Perform a System Restore:
If you’re having problems installing Windows Updates, use the following method.

When you start your computer by using the Windows installation disc, you can perform system recovery options on start up. To do this, follow these steps:

Turn off your computer manually by pressing the power button.
Start your computer by pressing the power button.
At the log on screen, tap or click the power icon in the lower-right corner.
Press the Shift key, and then tap or click Restart.
On the Choose an option page, tap or click Troubleshoot, and then tap or click Advanced options.
Tap or click System Restore. The computer will restart to System Restore. Select your account to continue.
On the System Restore page, tap or click Next.
If you are prompted to specify a disk to restore, select the hard disk, and then tap or click Next.
When the restoration process is complete, tap or click Restart.
If you are still facing the issue, visit theis website
https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-update-error-code-80070103/

Ask a Question