SOLVED How Do I Restore Accidentally Deleted Roaming.lock?

Reaction score
While trying to reset Spotlight somehow roaming.lock got deleted

How can I restore this?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That Solvusoft site looks pretty dodgy to me too unfortunately :( - it looks like they're autogenerating pages based on Windows filenames and then attempting users to download software to fix any and all errors.

Do you know the path to roaming.lock? If so, you could try running Recuva (free) and see if you can recover the deleted file: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Reaction score
Solved by changing the problem:

First, finally found which Kaspersky feature was interfering with System Restore (Self Defense) temporarily disabled / unchecked it and System Restore worked. Interestingly the box checked itself again by itself after the Restore operation and was able to Defend itself without needing my assistance (am continually impressed with Kaspersky)

Gave up on the main and overriding initial problem of totally ineffective "delicate" non-functioning Spotlight and instead simply (and safely) downloaded free Dynamic Theme app. Have set "daily Bing image as dynamic tile of application" for Lockscreen

Works, and when it would provide a pic I dislike, have now several good, quick and easy options, including using for Lockscreen that day a specific Windows picture I happen to really like

Last edited:

Ask a Question