How do I stop Office 2003 (KB907417) update when I only use the picture manager?

Reaction score
Greetings.

I use Windows 10 with MS Office 2016 on my computer. However, the newer versions of Office do offer the Picture Manager program of previous versions so I installed the picture manager from my MS Office 2007. Now I continue to get the notice that says I have the MS Office 2003 (KB907417) update that fails. How do I change this so that this notice stops? I need a simple photo editing program really like this one. How do I correct this ongoing update attempt?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Cherokee Phoenix,

Welcome to the Forum.

A while back Microsoft provided a diagcab file which allows you to hide unwanted updates.

I've attached a zipped folder here for you that contains that file, named, wushowhide.zip
  • Download the wushowhide.zip file to a location of your choice
  • After downloading it, scan the downloaded file with your Antivirus software to be sure its safe
  • When satisfied its safe, right-click on wushowhide.zip and select Extract all
That will create a new folder in the same location as your downloaded file, named wushowhide and will automatically open this folder for you to view its contents; which in this case is: wushowhide.diagcab
  • Double-left-click on the wushowhide.diagcab file to run it. This will open the following screen:
diagcab1.png
  • Click the Next button on this screen. You'll then see the following screen:
diagcab2.png

Ignore the Cancel button unless you want to stop the program.

After a few seconds you'll see another screen:

diagcab3.png
  • This screen has two options. Hide or Show hidden updates. In your case you want to click the Hide updates option, which will take you to this screen:
diagcab4.png

What you personally see here will differ from the sample image, but each item listed in this screen has its own check box. Any item you want to hide from the Windows Update you need to CHECK that items box

Thus in your case, you will check the box next to that MS Office 2003 (KB907417)

There may be other items here too, and if you'd like to hide those also, then check their boxes.

When done, click the Next button which will take you here:

diagcab5.png

Again, ignore the Cancel button unless you want to stop the program. After a few seconds you'll be taken to this screen automatically:

diagcab6.png

Any items you checked earlier will now display here with the Fixed note. If something goes wrong, it will not show it is fixed, but display a different message. When you are happy the items you want to hide are Fixed then click the Close button in the bottom right corner of Screen

Now when you next check for updates very Start > Settings > Update & security you'll no longer see the items such as your MS Office 2003 (KB907417) appear in the results.

Note: If any items you chose to hide, you later would actually like to see again, simply run the wushowhide.diagcab again, but rather than select Hide updates instead select Show hidden updates and follow the prompts to stop hiding them.

Source:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

Regards,

Regedit32

Attachments

• wushowhide.zip
    42.9 KB · Views: 707
Reaction score
regedit32, I want to most sincerely thank you for your answer to this issue. It was direct, complete, and completely helpful. There are other responses to this issue elsewhere on the internet that are the opposite.

Ask a Question