How to bypass a program that knows it's running under a VM?

Reaction score
Currently using VMware Workstation Pro 12 and I was wondering what are some way/s that I can configure so that the program I'm trying to run doesn't think I'm running it under a VM?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dfg555,

I think you'll need to clarify why it is you are attempting to prevent detection before anyone in this Forum addresses your question.

The most common applications that will not run in VM are Advanced Malware which for obvious reasons does not want to run in an environment where you can analyze and kill it.

Other commercial software (e.g. Games, Word Processing, Programming etc, may also not work in a VM environment because of the ease for someone then to clone the software for illicit purposes.)

Are there workarounds? Yes and no, depending on what it is you are trying to do.

The issue for our Forum though is we cannot provide workarounds without knowing what it is you are attempting to work around, because the aforementioned Commercial Software will have EULA terms that could see anyone attempting to help you be sued and I certainly do not want to see the owner of this Forum facing litigation or site closure as a result of good will assistance being deemed illegal activity.

Given you are using a commercial VM product, your best bet would be to consult them as to methods on avoiding detection, but even if they provide you a means, rest assured it will not be an easy task given the multitude of processes both internal and external accessing your application which could trigger detection.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi dfg555,

I think you'll need to clarify why it is you are attempting to prevent detection before anyone in this Forum addresses your question.

The most common applications that will not run in VM are Advanced Malware which for obvious reasons does not want to run in an environment where you can analyze and kill it.

Other commercial software (e.g. Games, Word Processing, Programming etc, may also not work in a VM environment because of the ease for someone then to clone the software for illicit purposes.)

Are there workarounds? Yes and no, depending on what it is you are trying to do.

The issue for our Forum though is we cannot provide workarounds without knowing what it is you are attempting to work around, because the aforementioned Commercial Software will have EULA terms that could see anyone attempting to help you be sued and I certainly do not want to see the owner of this Forum facing litigation or site closure as a result of good will assistance being deemed illegal activity.

Given you are using a commercial VM product, your best bet would be to consult them as to methods on avoiding detection, but even if they provide you a means, rest assured it will not be an easy task given the multitude of processes both internal and external accessing your application which could trigger detection.

Regards,

Regedit32
Maybe it is useless

Ask a Question