"Require Password" bypassed on video off

Reaction score
Hello,

I have it set so that my screensaver activates after 1 minute, and screen turns off after 5 minutes. I cannot enable sleep, as my RAID controller does not support sleep.

In the ScreenSaver options, I have it set to ask for the password when resuming. I also have Password on Wakeup enabled in all of the Power Settings.

The issue I have is that if I allow the ScreenSaver to activate (wait 1 minute, but no more than 5) then resuming will require a password as intended.

However, if I let the ScreenSaver activate, and wait further for the video to turn off, when I resume Windows goes right to where I was without requiring a password.

This is a fresh, clean install.

Any assistance or insight will be greatly appreciated!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Strange and just a wild guess, but....
Have a look in your advanced power settings options for a reference for "Hybrid Sleep". See if turning that off / disable changes the behavior.

Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to figure out the root cause after further investigation. It is actually an issue with a driver for a wireless gamepad I'm using. For some reason when the joystick is connected, it will disable the ScreenSaver, but still allow the video to turn off. So what has been happening is the ScreenSaver has not actually been starting, but the video would blank. Since the ScreenSaver never started, waking up the video blank did not trigger the password screen. This seems to be a driver issue and not a Windows issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your findings.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question