How to eject a SD from my laptop?

Reaction score
"LOW DISK SPACE" shows up every few seconds. My SETTINGS in STORAGE state that I have a D: a SD in my computer. It has 450 MB, and there is 40.5 MB still left...…..?? I have searched everything I know about - and I don't remember that I ever put a SD into this computer. I do not remember that I have ever owned one. I have tried to get the computer to eject it, but it will not. The LOW DISK SPACE message is really annoying.

This is a Dell Inspiron 15 and is 1 year old. I bought it at Best Buy and the Geek Squad set everything up. I have used the Geek Squad for several years and they have helped me many times. So - I called the Best Buy Geek Squad person by phone, and she could see inside my computer and she said that there is a SD in my computer. The SD could not open it or find out what is in it. She said you will need to go to the store to get it out. However, that is 40 miles away.....

Do anyone know how to easily eject a SD?

Reaction score
You mean an SD card as used in cameras and other devices like that? Or do you mean that your computer has an SSD drive?

If it is an SD card it should be visible as a 1 " slot with a black thing in it and pushing on that should push it out.

If it is an SSD then it will be the main disk drive and the ONLY reason to remove it would be to replace it with a bigger one or if it fails.

Reaction score
The Dell Inspiron 15 series all have provisions for a 1.3 inch SD card located on the right side of the PC case. If the card shows up in disk management you must have one installed. As Tim mentioned to remove the SD card apply pressure with your finger, push it IN and it should eject.
Not being able to read the card appears to be a common Dell Inspiron 15 problem, it appears they do not have the correct driver for the Realtek SD Card. If you don't have the correct driver to read the contents of the card it can be obtained at Realtek support.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&amp

Reaction score
Tim:
This computer states that is a LOCAL DISK D:450MB as STORAGE.
I have tried to find it inside the SD slot. I can't see it. I have tried to stick it poke it inside, but I do not feel anything there.
There is nothing being used in the USB slots.
If I carry the laptop with me with no cords or anything using the battery, I still get the message: LOW DISK SPACE

Mary

Reaction score
That message can apply to one of the partitions on the only hard drive in the Notebook. It may be Disk Management has a drive letter assigned which shouldn't be necessary but may not be able to change it. We haven't seen SD card capacities as low as 450MB in quite awhile, actually much lower such as 32MB or 64MB, common with the earlier digital cameras. But there are 1, 2 or 3 small partitions on the main drive that are small.

For SD cards in the Card Reader, they usually protrude just enough to push further in which will release and let them come further out, has a feel of being spring-loaded. If something foreign has been put in the slot that can't be removed it may require measures as extreme as a new motherboard.

Reaction score
Only 10% free storage would count as low disk space to me. in File explorer, look at the properties of the drive and then, under tools, click on disk cleanup.

FWIW 450 Mb as a main drive is pretty tiny these days.

Reaction score
You might try removing the drive letter. Press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, type "cmd" into the "Run" box, then press and hold the shift and control keys with one hand and press "Enter" with the other. Answer "Yes" when Windows asks you about changes, then type

mountvol d: /L > "%userprofile%\desktop\backup.txt"

and press "Enter". Be sure to include the quotes and the percent signs. This backs up the volume ID in a text file on your desktop. Then type the following and press "Enter" to remove the drive letter. You may have to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

mountvol d: /d

Ben

Ask a Question