HOW TO FIX "NO CHOICE" AS TO WHICH UPDATES ?

Reaction score
In previous systems I had a choice as to which updates to d/l & install ... eg ... I dont use "Office" so i never had a need to d/l those updates ... saving my data allowance ... I just unchecked them& was happy as ... now it seems I do not have a choice ... also when using a pc / laptop that i had not used for some months if there was a large amount i could select 10 or so , install them and leave the others until it was more suitable ... now there is no choice which is a concern having to leave my system on until all of the updates have finished .... how can I now have those choices as to what is downloaded & whether I choose to install a particular update or not ?

Reaction score
If you're using Windows 10 home version it looks like you won't have a choice. Microsoft has decreed that since a lot of people don't bother to update their systems they will do it for them. Microsoft is taking a tremendous amount of flak for taking away a users choice since video card drivers especially have a bad history of not being reliable and causing a myriad of problems. For the moment though it looks like Microsoft is standing their ground and not bowing to the pressure to change.

Reaction score
I know a way. A workaround i should say...
Go settings, then Network & Internet. under ur wifi settings,click on advanced options. Then look for "set as metered connection" & turn on. Windows wont download updates on a metered connection unless u click YES to it, otherwise, it will wait til ur on 'wifi' to download. By changing that one setting, now we got the power to download updates now, or not :)
Screenshot (2).png

Ask a Question