How to get ALT special characters on WIN 10 ?

Reaction score
ALT special characters for WIN 10 ?
On WIN 8 and previous, it worked with Alt key + chain of numbers.
How to get it on WIN 10 ????

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Karni,

The same way, although some characters you need to add a 0 in front of the value.

Alt + the code (entered on number pad of keyboard as opposed to numbers on top row),

For example Alt + 0151 gives you —

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32,
I tried it all before contacting the forum. Tried again now - nada...
Maybe the problem is with my Dell All in One XPS 27" Intel i7
There is no num-lock key as the right pad is numbers only.
Any idea ?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Karni,

I took a look online at your computer and it appears it came with a wireless keyboard mouse combo that has no numlock feature. Assuming your keyboard is the Dell KM714 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse there is nothing in the manual that comes close to mentioning such a feature.

You may need to try a different keyboard from a previous computer you owned or buy a different model if this feature is important to you.

There is a registry tweak that allows you to re-assign key mapping to make another key act as a numlock, but this assumes the keyboard who's mapping you are changing has that feature in the first place; so I doubt such a tweak in this instance would make a difference.

If your keyboard is a different model that the one I am talking about let me know and I'll investigate further.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Does the bios on this machine allow you to set numlock on at boot? I noticed my mobo bios allows that.

Reaction score
You can copy them over. I have the same system.

I have not tried yet but I found this..

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19493820

The link does not seem to work for me (Fn+Ctrl+LShift), but I am having some success by hitting and releasing the Function key and then Alt+0176 for a degree symbol. It involves timing so hit ALT immediately after hitting and releasing Fn.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you very much regedit32,
I suspected that this might be my limitation on that dell computer, you are right.
I can live without those special characters as i do not intend to write scientific letters or articles... I like the quality of dell screens.
I have also a macbook air that has all special characters built-in.
Again, i appreciate your efforts to assist me.

Hi Karni,

I took a look online at your computer and it appears it came with a wireless keyboard mouse combo that has no numlock feature. Assuming your keyboard is the Dell KM714 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse there is nothing in the manual that comes close to mentioning such a feature.

You may need to try a different keyboard from a previous computer you owned or buy a different model if this feature is important to you.

There is a registry tweak that allows you to re-assign key mapping to make another key act as a numlock, but this assumes the keyboard who's mapping you are changing has that feature in the first place; so I doubt such a tweak in this instance would make a difference.

If your keyboard is a different model that the one I am talking about let me know and I'll investigate further.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
° § ©
Seems to be working for me... did you see my post? Again, tap the Fn key then quickly hold down the Alt key while you enter the character numbers.

Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545. None of the above recommendations for inserting keyboard characters. I read somewhere that Dell recommends installing a USB Keyboard. But that defeats the portability of a Laptop.
I've got used to typing,"Charater Map" in the search box. LOL

Reaction score
You can copy them over. I have the same system.

I have not tried yet but I found this..

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19493820

The link does not seem to work for me (Fn+Ctrl+LShift), but I am having some success by hitting and releasing the Function key and then Alt+0176 for a degree symbol. It involves timing so hit ALT immediately after hitting and releasing Fn.

Sorry, it does not work with my computer with WIN 10, tried any combination. Well, thanks to all who tried to help, Its not a big "disaster", I can survive and find alternatives.....

Reaction score
OK, it seems strange since I have an XPS 2720 with the KM714 keyboard set, it should work for both of us. If I don't hit the keys correctly the system beeps at me while I hit the numbers.

° ¨ ¦ ¤

Ask a Question