SOLVED How to get out of "S" mode?

Reaction score
Hi. First time poster here. Just set up an Asus E210 that came with pre-installed Windows 10 Home in S mode. We need to switch out of "S" mode, otherwise we cannot use "non-approved" appplications like Wireshark, Firefox, Notepad2, etc., and I found several sites that explain how to get beyond the "S" mode. They all agree that we need to go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Activation and then look for a "Switch to Windows 10 Home" or "Switch to Windows 10 Pro" header. Well, I get as fas as "Activation", but there is no header of this kind there, only "Activate Windows Now". Any ideas as to what we should do? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I get as fas as "Activation", but there is no header of this kind there, only "Activate Windows Now".
Has Windows been activated yet? Could be that has to be done before making the change.

EDIT: forgot to add this:

1678586102117.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Bighorn, thanks for the reply. You were right, Windows had not yet been activated. :) So I activated it. I did this by calling in, since I did not want the computer to be connected to the internet at that time. Then I found out that getting out of S mode seemed to require an internet connection and an MS account. Not satisified, I kept searching until I found this:
(URL: www youtube com/watch?v=4rTbJ9o9LoY - replace the two spaces with dots)

Done... case closed... :)

PS: why did I do all this without connecting to the intermet?
I wanted to install Acrylic DNS Proxy (not a Microsoft approved app) BEFORE ever connecting to the internet, because only with a tool like that can the computer be prevented from connecting to Microsoft, Mozilla, Adobe, Google, without user permission, and it also stops access to a whole slew of ad providers and trackers that I put on the list

Last edited:
Reaction score
S mode is good for simplicity and maybe support but do have to get additional apps from the Microsoft Store, they probably copied what Apple does.

Ask a Question