SOLVED How to get PC to support Miracast?

Reaction score

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    64.7 KB · Views: 940
Reaction score
Unless I am going blind I don't see a wifi device in DXDiag.txt. I have never used Miracast but I have always thought the PC had to have WiFi for this to work. Your PC has an ethernet device but no wifi.

So maybe you need to go WiFi with a USB dongle to talk to the Miracast device on your TV.

Reaction score
Bluetooth is not Wifi. That Microsoft device plugged into your TV is a Wifi device.

It MAY BE that if you find out the IP address of the MS device plugged into your TV...I would guess that either there is a way to see that on the TV screen or that you can log onto your routers Web page and see the address there then from your PC connect to that MS device with the Miracast app. I don't know. That MS device expects a wifi signal that it converts to HDMI protocol including HDCP, That suggests to me that a miracast app on the PC generates that signal and expects to send it straight Wifi to the MS device. If having your router in the way disturbs the HDCP handshake it certainly won't work.

Reaction score
I have same router, linking two Ethernet cables to pc and TV, so same wifi
i get this when i go to connect
http://prntscr.com/g8317s

I don't know much in the router, I would appericate if you give me the steps, i don't want to mess it up, I have netgear Dual band wireless N600

Reaction score
Ethernet is not WiFi either. Sure you can connect both, TV and your computer, with a cable through the router but the renders your wireless display adapter null and void.Try it without the cable to the TV and have the Display adapter connect to the router (via WiFi). In theory you should be able to find that adapter on your network. Look in the settings of the router.
AFAIK Ethernet has priority over WiFi (but I have been wrong before).

Reaction score
how i can get the display adapter to connect to the router via wifi, i removed the cable, tv now wirelessly taking from the router

looked all over router settings, no such thing

Last edited:
Reaction score
So now Miracast app on the PC should be able to find the display adapter as Grizzly says. The 'rules' of networking say that should work. But the rules of Miracast might not allow it if the Miracast app on the PC is designed to only use wifi from the PC. If that is the case then you will just have to get a Wifi card or dongle for the PC.

Reaction score
SO I spent some time this morning trying it.

I do not have a wifi adapter for my TV so I used 2 Windows 10 PCs.
PC 1 my main PC which I usually connect Ethernet. I plugged in a Wifi dongle and turned off the ethernet to emulate a TV which only has the Wifi adapter. PC works fine of course

PC2 a laptop with Wifi that is running the very latest W10 Insider build.

On PC1 went to settings -> system -> projecting to this PC and turned everything on on that screen:
Available everywhere
First Time Only
Require Pin
Discover for projection only.

Went to PC2 Action centre and clicked on Project . Clicked on Find a wireless display. After a couple of minutes PC1 name appeared. Clicked on Connect and the first time I see a PIN screen appear on PC1 and a dialog to enter the Pin on PC2.

I do this and it thinks for a minute and Lo and Behold PC2's screen appears on PC1. So I try a few things including Youtube videos and it all works.

So I notice that PC1 has a second connection called DIRECT-TPPC1msLS which is the Miracast 'address' that PC2 ( the projecting machine) is looking for.

Finally then. Your PC that you wish to project FROM must be connected WiFi or at least must have Wifi turned on in settings even if the PC uses Ethernet to the router.

Reaction score
Note that it did not work the other way around in my case. PC2 said 'That this device might have trouble...as its hardware was not designed for wireless projection.
I think I will reboot both machines and retry

Reaction score
I retried and PC2 will not be projected to. Tried with 2 separte and different wifi dongles so I suspect it is the display stuff.

Reaction score
not work, i contacted Microsoft, told me my hardware is old and doesn't support, need to upgrade hardware, there is no other way around it

Reaction score
Yes. I have one machine that can cast but not be casted to and one machine that can be casted to but cannot cast. Most annoying. I ordered the Microsoft dongle that you have from Amazon and I'll try with my TV when that arrives.

Reaction score
I found my old Android phone could cast but not my Iphone. So I'll wait for the dongle and see what works

I did discover that i should be able to pug the dongle into my AVR rather than into the TV.

Reaction score
MS display thing dongle arrived. Plugged it into my AVR which has a convenient USB port for power. Downloaded MS program from the store that controls it. Wanted firmware update, downloaded and updated. Adjusted screen overscan, worked. Laptop which has Intel video and WiFi casts just fine to it. Thried a Amazon prime movie for the 5.1 sound. All Ok.

Ask a Question