How to keep an update from attempting to install

Reaction score
I have updated to version 10049, though I had this issue with previous versions of Windows 10 Preview on the same computer. See below for specs.

Whenever I ask Windows Update to check for new updates in Windows 10, an old update appears for my laptop. It wants to install new updated software for the video card. Unfortunately, the laptop is fairly old and will not accept the update. The same update appears on this laptop for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I swap out the hard drive) and they, too, cannot accept the update, but with them, I can easily instruct the machine to not attempt this update again. With Windows 10, it appears, I cannot i instruct the machine to not attempt this update. Every time I update, this 100+ MB file is downloaded and rejected, but I cannot stop it from trying.

How can I stop this useless behavior?

Lenovo T61, Windows 10 v.10049, Core2Duo T7300 @2 GHz, 4 GB DDR2, 128 MB NVIDIA Quatro NVS 140M (1440 x 900 @60Hz)

Reaction score
Probably can't stop it since Win 10 is set to auto download and it can't be changed.

Reaction score
I sure hope they fix this before the final version ... auto download has never been a good idea for the consumer. This has been shown everytime MS releases an update that causes major problems. A careful computer user should not download until the update has been downloaded by millions of users and shown not to cause problems.

Reaction score
In the Cortana search box, type advanced system settings > click it > Hardware tab at the top > Device Installation Settings > dot " No, let me choose what to do " > dot " Never install driver from Windows Update " > Save changes.
That should stop WU installing drivers you can't use.

Device installation settings.jpg

Reaction score
Why in heck does Microsoft hide things like this in places where one wouldn't normally look? Since this is directly related to updates it should be in the update settings where it would normally be seen.

Reaction score
It is not related to Cortana. perhaps a typo? Type the name into the search box, even if you have not enabled Cortana.

However. The facility has been available , at least since Windows xp. It is accessible through the legacy Control Panel (System - Advanced System settings - Hardware tab - Device installation settings.)

Bad news is it will not, for the moment, it will not stop the updating of drivers.

Ask a Question