SOLVED How to PERMANENTLY disable Cortana?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you select the Uninstall Device button, you may see one more screen before you need to restart computer.

On the additional screen, there may be a box you can check which would remove the drivers from your computer too. If you do not have drivers ready to install yourself, then Don't check that box!

You can restart and let Windows redetect the Device and reset it. That may help resolve the issue.

Reaction score
I'm very scared to Uninstall the Display Adapter. I have visions of ending up with a boat anchor with sound only.
Will Windows absolutely Redetect the Device and reinstall it? If you tell me yes, I'll do it but I may need a strong cup of coffee to see me through. :)

Are there any other options that perhaps I should try first?

And now, back to the BEAST.
Die Hard is alive and well. I followed your instructions and Cortana is still humming right along.

I never saw the Close button that you had on your screen shot and I never got the message that Cortana could not help in my region.

Here are a couple of screen shots.
upload_2017-7-18_16-36-57.png

upload_2017-7-18_16-38-5.png

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm in New Zealand, to be able to turn Cortana on and use it, I had to pick a different country.

The closest was Australia, but being a Kiwi, the thought of pretending to be a Wallabie was too much :eek:, so I selected English (United Kingdom) instead.

It then pointed out this was different to my regional settings and asked me to confirm I wanted to do this. I confirmed and after a minute or so it set it self up asking me to pick something for it to do. Regretfully I asked it for a joke :D

At that point I went to the Registry and modified the key with the policy, then restarted the computer. Cortana was no longer appearing in the Search field, but just like you its processes were still running in the Task Manager.

So then I open the Windows Settings app, and searched Cortana, which lead me to the Cortana & Search settings, where I turned off the Device History, then clicked the Clear my device history button.

Then that last screen appeared which I clicked the close button on.

I then restarted computer.

Cortana was now not showing in the Search field, and no Cortana processes were present in the Task Manager.

I did all this on Windows 10 Home Edition, Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.483) which is what you have.

Perhaps you could intentionally choose a different Region in the Cortana & Search settings field, then as I did apply those other changes to see whether you can defeat Cortana that way instead.

Re: the Display Adapater. If you uninstall it [but do not check the box to uninstall the drivers], this simply removes references in the Registry. When you restart the computer, windows will redetect the hardware - in this case the graphics card - and set up fresh registry information for it, and use the driver currently in use now, or an older one, if it deems it necessary.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

After disabling Cortata, are we able to use the “ Search Windows ” dialog box ?

Thank You

Regards ;) JAY B.

Regedit32

Reaction score
After disabling Cortata, are we able to use the “ Search Windows ” dialog box ?

Hi Jay B,

Yes the Search field works perfectly well.

It's search results are only affected by your chosen settings of what directories to index, so if something is not appearing in the search which you know exists on your computer, then check your Indexing Options to make sure the directory the searched item is located is included in the list of directories to index.

Reaction score
Hi,

Well it's not working for me, Cortana is still in the task manager !?!?? o_O

And, if I end the task, within the blink of an eye it reappears ! o_O

So I'll live with it ! :p

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Good morning, again. I'll bet you'll be glad when you don't have to deal with me and my problems anymore. I have to give you kudos for your persistence and exceptional knowledge.

I think you've given me the key. I changed my location to New Zealand (I've always wanted to go there) and Hallelujah, the wicked witch is dead. The Start Menu still works, the searches I've tried still work. And Cortana does not appear in the Task Manager. Hopefully, that means that it won't still be sending personal info to MS.

Honestly, I never thought it would happen but I'm a very persistent person, some would say stubborn. :) And evidently, so are you. You certainly didn't give up on this. Thanks again for all your help. Your explanations were wonderful.

And now I'm off to tackle the Screen Resolution problem. It's always something, isn't it? :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
And now I'm off to tackle the Screen Resolution problem. It's always something, isn't it?

I'm glad that little white lie trick worked for you re Cortana :)

Note: When major cumulative updates are installed, its possible you may need to do that trick again, as no doubt Cortana will be reinvigorated :eek:

I'm not really a graphics / game person, so re your Display issues centred around the games, it might pay to start a brand new thread, as there are plenty of people in this Forum who may be able to help you there.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well it's not working for me, Cortana is still in the task manager !?!?? o_O

Refer to morlaine's success story :) - perhaps you need to do the same.

I think you've given me the key. I changed my location to New Zealand (I've always wanted to go there) and Hallelujah, the wicked witch is dead. The Start Menu still works, the searches I've tried still work. And Cortana does not appear in the Task Manager. Hopefully, that means that it won't still be sending personal info to MS.

Perhaps you need to do the same by telling Cortana & Search settings you are in New Zealand, then turn off the Device History, clear the device history etcetera ...

Reaction score
Hi,

My localisation has been turned off from the first day I had installed Windows 10 1703 (clean install).
And for Cortana and the Device History it's the same thing, using gpedit.msc
At least Cortana doesn't pop up anymore in the lower right corner of the screen, and if I click on the Windows Search' dialog box, there's no Cortana in the new window that opens.

Thanks ! :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Reaction score
Hi Morlaine,
  • Press Windows Key + S together
  • In the Search field type command
  • In the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following command:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key to close the console

Now press the following three keys together: Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager

Scroll to bottom of Task Manager window and right-click on Windows Explorer and select Restart

You screen and taskbar with darken and flash for a moment, then return to normal. At this point close the Task Manager window.

Cortana ought now be stopped and a normal search in its place.

Note: Apart from working in the Anniversary Update, this will also work with the Creator update and also with the latest rs_prerelease for the Windows Insider Program.
ive done this with success. open up the windows run box or admin cmd prompt and type in regedit.exe and once in the registry hit control + F KEY and this will allow you to search thourgh the registry. Basically type in Cortanas name and whatever results it pulls up they should be highlighted. just delete any of her registry keys that you want i just did 2 keys that popped up. {If U delete or screw up cortanas registry keys than how can she start up?} so just mess up her keys however you want and she shouldnt hassle you no more. ive done this with no problems thus far. so give it a try and see what you think.

Reaction score
Click right hand icon (e. g. "more") represented by three dots on Edge browser...then scroll down to settings then scroll down to view advanced settings then click "Have Cortana assist me" slider bar to turn off.

Ask a Question