SOLVED How to prevent Microsoft from disconnecting my network when it asks to sign in AGAIN

Reaction score
I signed in to my Microsoft account when I logged onto my Windows 10 laptop, I should not have to sign in AGAIN. Or is this a new "feature" of Windows 10?

I was running an 8 hour job on my network late last night between the two laptops on my network. I just checked it and it had a little less than 2 hours to run. A few minutes later a Microsoft message popped up that said I needed to sign into my Microsoft account again. Immediately, my network went down and the long running job ended. I have to think these two are connected. What is really interesting is that I am still connected to the internet and I have to assume to my Microsoft account.

Why would I get that message?

Why would it interrupt my network and crash my job?

How do I prevent this from happening again?

The more I see of Windows 10 the better I like Windows 7, actually, the better I like windows 95. Remember that one?

Reaction score
You don't have to use a Microsoft account unless you are part of the Insider program and even then I'm not sure if that is still 100% true.
You do have to log Cortana on with an MS account for her/it to work properly but you can do that as a separate action to logging on to your machine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why would I get that message?
Either your screen saver settings or your advanced power options (or both) are set to require a password when they recover.
Why would it interrupt my network and crash my job?
Your power management options for your network adapters are set to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" check their properties in device manager, power management tab.
How do I prevent this from happening again?
Address those to issues.

Reaction score
I have not gotten another message saying I have to log into Microsoft again. The Ghost in the Machine, perhaps?

I don't have a screensaver unless Windows automatically comes with one. I'm trying to keep this plain vanilla until I get the bugs worked out.
The password on wake-up is set to off.

I checked the the device manager in the control panel and it just lists the devices. I could not find a the power management tab. In the Control Panel/Power Options, I did create a custom power management plan and made the laptop use high performance. Interestingly, I had set it to High Performance two days ago but it was back to Balanced when I looked at it today.

I have other questions about Networking and Internet Access but will open another ticket since that is a different topic.

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question