How to search for files

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Home and I can not locate files or folders using the search feature. Instead, I have to spend huge amounts of time searching through all my thousands of documents to manually. See the image showing how search can't even locate a file sitting on my desktop.

2rqc9ba.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Darren,

Welcome to the Forum.

I suspect what is going on here, is that your Indexing options is not currently set up appropriately.
  • Press windows key + S key together to give focus to the Search/Cortana field
  • In the Search/Cortana field type Indexing then in the search results click indexing Options
  • In the Window that opens click the Modify button
  • Check any partition/drive you want indexed.
  • In the case of C partition/drive double click to expand and which ever boxes you check will be indexed, and those you choose not to check will not be indexed.
  • When you have made the changes you want, click OK
  • Now click the Advanced button and then in window that opens click the Rebuild button to rebuild your Indexing.
Once that is done then simply typing the name of file, be it a text file, image, folder, etcetera, ought to appear in your search results, provided of course you checked the location its in to be Indexed as instructed above.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. However, I can not go past step 3 because it appears indexing is not running (see image 1). If I click Advanced I see Image 2.

Not sure what to do!

nfr911.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to check services and confirm that "Windows Search" is running.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to Windows Search and double click it.
Mine is configured as below.

Capture.PNG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Alternatively,

On the first window that opened click the troubleshoot link at bottom of the window and let Windows repair it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't usually have much trouble using the traditional search utility within Windows 10, but.....
I do occasionally use third party tools.
I like Agent Ransack
AND
I like Search Everything by Void Tools
http://www.voidtools.com/
I prefer the portable versions of such third party tools, as I don't like installing them on my PC.

Reaction score
You may want to check services and confirm that "Windows Search" is running.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and in the Run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
Scroll down to Windows Search and double click it.
Mine is configured as below.

View attachment 5622

Thank you for taking the time to offer that advice and screen shot. I followed your steps and "Windows Search" is not even in the list for me!

Reaction score
Alternatively,

On the first window that opened click the troubleshoot link at bottom of the window and let Windows repair it.

I did that and it said that Windows search is not running. I then clicked "repair as admin" and it fails to repair. Perhaps Windows 10 Home addition doesn't have the search feature?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did that and it said that Windows search is not running. I then clicked "repair as admin" and it fails to repair. Perhaps Windows 10 Home addition doesn't have the search feature?

Windows 10 Home edition does and always has had the Indexing and Search features. Cortana is also available, but not in all countries.

Did you try Troubles suggestion re Services?

Reaction score
Windows 10 Home edition does and always has had the Indexing and Search features. Cortana is also available, but not in all countries.

Did you try Troubles suggestion re Services?

I did. After typing services.msc I noticed that "Windows Search" is not even showing in the list. Effectively my search feature is disabled and I have no way to enable it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Attached is a file named WSearch.reg
  • Download this to your computer
  • Scan for virus etcetera
  • When satisfied its safe, right-click on the file and select Merge
  • A series of prompts will appear:
    • Click Yes to the User Account Control prompt
    • Click Yes to the Registry Editor prompt with yellow triangle containing an '!'
    • Click OK to the Registry Editor prompt with the blue circle containing a white 'i'
  • Close all open programs
  • Restart your computer for changes to take affect
Done!

All going well, you ought to now be able to:
  • right-click on Start | select Run | type services.msc and click OK
  • Scroll down window and locate Windows Search
If that is the case you will now be able to set up your Indexing Options too.
Report back on how you go Darren,

Regards,

Regedit32

PS: Can you let us know if you are using any programs to clean your Registry, and if so what programs.

Attachments

• WSearch.reg
    4 KB · Views: 387

Ask a Question