How to Turn Cortana Off

How to Turn Cortana Off

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

How to Turn Cortana Off - How to disable Cortana in Windows 10

Cortana is the new digital personal assistant that comes as a feature with Windows 10. It's a really helpful way to find information by typing in a search query or just by speaking naturally if you have a microphone enabled. If you'd like to disable Cortana in Windows 10, just follow these simple steps.

If you're using Windows 10 for the first time and attempt to use Cortana, you can simply click the "not interested" button, followed by the confirmation prompt.

However, if you've previously...

Read more about this article...

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Should we add another article on how to disable Cortana via group policy and registry?

Reaction score
IMHO, I think it is better to stay with the standard, and planned, methods available to all, as Ian's link directs.

I am not too happy with methods of messing with the group policies (not available to all versions) or, for that matter, hacks into the registry, if normal options are available to the user. But, everyone to their own.

There are so many examples, over all forums, where these practices have eventually led to requests for help. Subsequent updates etc from MS do not recognize these hacks and can, on occasion, lead to trouble.

Reaction score
There should be mention of needing to be signed into a Microsoft account. I just noticed a local account doesn't give access to the option.

Reaction score
Good one Cliff. Same rule applies, unfortunately, to several functions in Windows 10

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
The only Windows version without a group policy is Home version.
Group policy is not a hack though and is fully supported and provided by Microsoft.

We already offer spybot anti-beacon for download in Useful Windows 10 Downloads and the way in which that disables Cortana, Onedrive etc. is via registry policy, which does not translate to the correct setting in Group Policy Editor, meaning it doesnt flip the enabled/disabled switch in Group Policy

As for support requests, cant be avoided, from experience, people break something elsewhere and then go find a community to help them try fix the mess.

My 2c

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@davehc

I do not wish to step on anyone's toes. :cool:

livelongandproper-png.5189

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Should we add another article on how to disable Cortana via group policy and registry?

It looks like I need to update this article for the latest W10 update, but I'll probably just stick to a method that will work on all versions - as most people reading this will have Home edition. However, an article listing lots of useful group policy settings for non-home editions would be a really interesting read and perhaps worth adding.

Reaction score
Well I'm new to Win10 as of about a week and I have turned off every Cortana setting and I still get annoying notification messages occasionally offering ways I can be helped . If someone has registry settings to block that junk on a Home edition I would like to have them.

Reaction score
You refer to notifications??
Have you looked in "Settings - Notifications"? You can turn off most of the junk messages there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I'm new to Win10 as of about a week and I have turned off every Cortana setting and I still get annoying notification messages occasionally offering ways I can be helped . If someone has registry settings to block that junk on a Home edition I would like to have them.

Great to see you over here :D.

In home edition, you may be able to block Cortana by creating a 32-bit DWORD of "AllowCortana" with value "0" at the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

You may need to create the last part of that key path if it doesn't already exist.

Usual caveats about backups, messing with registry settings apply, etc... - but I know you're fully aware :D.

Reaction score
Wolfie, thanks for fixers idea above. I'm definitely not after the extreme method of removing the app completely, I just want it on my terms when I search and not have it send random popup notifications to bottom right. I haven't seen any of them lately so I think I found all of them in settings; though, now with that, it no longer offers to search the web for ideas when I use it to search, but I still remember how to do that myself :rolleyes:.

As for running ver 1703, no. It hasn't been forced to my machine yet; I read Microsoft is doing it in stages so I'll let you guys bug-test it a while. I also read I will probably have to recheck all my settings once I get it because Microsoft likes to re-enable stuff.

Reaction score
Hi @TrainableMan ,

I have been running 1703 for ages and apart from the home button missing in Edge browser, it all runs fine, might be worth considering?. :)

Reaction score
Home button:

Click the three dots - then settings - Advanced settings
Shw the home button ON and selct your choice for the site shown under the home button.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

done that ages ago but the blank spot is where the home button once was!. I have tried switching it on and off but it doesn't help!. o_O

home button missing.JPG

Ask a Question