How to uninstall newer build.

Reaction score
Windows 10 just updated itself to a newer build.
Now my "microsoft 7 games" I had taken hours to get working under windows 10 are gone...
And also what is much more annoying on the soundcard, the stereomix is not working any more.
I used to be able to record anything that was played on the computer.. i can still hear it.. but it wont record..

It has nothing to do with my recording software .. the stereo mix device is dead.. (i use it professionally as a journalist to record bits and bytes provided by big agencies like reuters, ap, afp etc...

Now here is my question: can i undo the update? can I switch back to windows 8.1 whithout loosing all my software settings???
because even reverting to the older build of win10.. it will update immediately to the newer one and I will have the same problem.

and yes I have the newest realtec drivers and i reinstalled them etc... etc..

Thanks for any advice..

Worst case I will have to make a new setup with windows 8.1 but I dont have the time... (or should i buy myself a mac?? the 3 day setup will cost me so much it would pay for the mac)

Luc

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dakrampus,

If you want to revert back to the earlier build of Windows 10 you had prior to an automatic upgrade:
  • Click Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click Update & security
  • In the left pane click Recovery
  • In the main window click the Get started button beneath Go back to an earlier build
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
My stereo mix still seems to be active. I do have to enable it in the Sound-Recording dialog.

Reaction score
Hi Dakrampus,

If you want to revert back to the earlier build of Windows 10 you had prior to an automatic upgrade:
  • Click Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click Update & security
  • In the left pane click Recovery
  • In the main window click the Get started button beneath Go back to an earlier build
Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you I will give it a try this weekend...

Reaction score
My stereo mix still seems to be active. I do have to enable it in the Sound-Recording dialog.

Mine is active also.. but it does not record anything... first show hidden -> then activate.. and set as default...

but when i play an audio and i go to the stereomix settings.. i should see the sound in a sort of "level indicator" (it ususally is very low but it should show as recording device when you play sound...) this is dead an does not show anything.. and of course there is no sound arriving.. so you cannot record anything...

Reaction score
you might need to re install the audio driver from the manifacture
Thanks.. that was the first thing i did.. i will try undoing the update and then see how it works..
but actually it is exactly the same driver for both versions..
i figured reinstalling would not do any harm. so i reinstalled the driver in different ways, (with the realtek installer... uninstalling it first.. then overwriting the microsoft driver with the new one, always acted exactly the same.. well i'll give feedback if I solve the problem.

Reaction score
What are you using to record since I don't see the old sound recorder? Since I don't know of anything on my system which records I suppose I won't be able to try mine.

I seem to remember something about a line in jack where the recorder would work. Possibly if it really doesn't work for other things they have disabled it so folks can't record protected media.

Reaction score
What are you using to record since I don't see the old sound recorder? Since I don't know of anything on my system which records I suppose I won't be able to try mine.

I seem to remember something about a line in jack where the recorder would work. Possibly if it really doesn't work for other things they have disabled it so folks can't record protected media.

Well it doesn't depend on the recorder. Once you have the "stereomix" you can record with any recording device.
You can record youtube, or anything you can play online. or on the computer like skype or others. I use it when i am on the news agency homepage and they stream live news conferences.. to be able to record them. . but attention. You have to disable all your system sounds.. because if get a mail or ohter event.., you will have the "bling" of the arriving mail on the recording.

As a recording device i use a system called "D.A.V.I.D." http://www.davidsystems.com/
But its a very expensive professional software and audio content management system. you can edit broadcastquality audio without any losses. It records in mpeg2. etc...

But again.. this has nothing to do with the recording possibilities.. as with the Stereomix activated and set as default device in your recording devices it should show potential recording (playback) levels besides the symbol as soon as you listen to any audio. it will work as soon as you see anything there.. if nothing is there, no software will let you record anything.. either mine or any other.. (you would have to loop output to input either per hardware or software cable - but i dont like that solution as it was possible without it before)

Luc

Reaction score
I am still running Windows 7 on my Home Theater PC because I realized with Windows 8 I could not record one over the air channel because they were putting the content and schedule on separate sub channels.

I still have Windows 7 on my Primary Gaming system. Rolling back Windows 10 is usually limited to 30 days. After that it becomes a little harder if not impossible. If you just don't want to upgrade builds the Defer Upgrades option on the Advanced options in the update settings may help, but not sure.

Reaction score
As nothing helped I formated the harddrive and then installed a Windows 8.0 version... did all the updates until 8.1, removed the annoying call for 10 .
I lost a day but now i can record again.. and the system works like a charm
Added the classic start menu button and I am happy again...
thanks for all your input , but this was the easyest way, although very time consuming...
Even had to format the harddisk on another computer because it didnt let me install 8.0 saying the partition was already used by some system...
Well whatever.. i figured it out and it worked and I am happy again!!!

Luc

Ask a Question