I can barely see through my windows and can faintly see my desktop

Reaction score
This goes away after my laptop has been on for a while - but as it's happening I can notice "vertical lines" running up and down the screen. These don't occur on my second monitor. The vertical lines alternate from the correct colored pixel to a slightly lighter version and back all the way across. The effect is easiest to notice on gray. Like I said in the title I can also see through the application. It's almost like every other row of pixels is transparent, but as the vertical lines affect fades away so does the transparency. I'd imagine this isn't a windows 10 problem because it isn't happening on my second monitor but maybe it is. Thanks!

Reaction score
What type computer, Desktop, Notebook/Laptop or Tablet? What make, model name and model number? Which version of Win10? Press Windows key plus R, type winver and press Enter, post the full line with Version and Build number.

If the computer is a Desktop, what type of data cable, VGA, DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI?

Reaction score
This goes away after my laptop has been on for a while - but as it's happening I can notice "vertical lines" running up and down the screen. These don't occur on my second monitor. The vertical lines alternate from the correct colored pixel to a slightly lighter version and back all the way across. The effect is easiest to notice on gray. Like I said in the title I can also see through the application. It's almost like every other row of pixels is transparent, but as the vertical lines affect fades away so does the transparency. I'd imagine this isn't a windows 10 problem because it isn't happening on my second monitor but maybe it is. Thanks!

If you switch the monitors, does the problem switch with it or does it stay the same on the first monitor??.
If it stays on the first one, you video card may be bad, if the symptom switches to the second monitor, the monitor is bad.
From my experience this symptom points to a bad LCD screen. I see faults like this many times in my profession as a TV Doc.

Ask a Question