I can't open my window

Reaction score
Help please!
Updated to 10 and it's been working ok but now after booting up and getting to the home screen with task bar I can not get the main window to open. If I open an app (left click opens the menu ok) ie Firefox it shows in the task bar and the small window appears but the main window will not open. It probably something simple but I am stuck.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I updated a few weeks ago from 7 to 10. It was only from last night the problem occurred. I thought possibly it was another auto update (which has caused a few problems in the past weeks) but I can not seem to get around it.

Reaction score
I can get to settings but when the cog icon opens in the task bar and if you hover over the icon you get a small preview window popping up but that's all. If you then click on it it drops.

Reaction score
Also I can get the search / settings / feedback up ok but can not open anything from there either.

Reaction score
OK. We have to do it the other way..............
restart your computer > do not sign in
in the sign in screen, bottom right, click the Power icon > one of the options that appears is Restart >
press Shift key and hold > click Restart > click "Restart anyway" if you were asked to confirm the action > wait > click Troubleshoot >click Reset this PC > and follow the prompts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried to not sign in but from restart we go from black screen blue Window (spinny dots) then black screen straight to rocks and water and task bar signed in. I tried to do a restart with shift held but just got the beep then back to where I started. Because I can get the menu up on left I have tried to log out to do the restart but now I just have a blank black screen.

Reaction score
from restart we go from black screen blue Window (spinny dots) then black screen straight to rocks and water and task bar signed in.

So you are signed in now. Yes ?

RIGHT click at the Start button > click Shut down or sign out > a popup box will appear, Restart is one of the options.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > wait > click Troubleshoot > click Reset this PC > follow the prompts from then on.............

Reaction score
Sorry tried three times now but with shift held and restart pressed the screen just goes black. Still holding shift now

Reaction score
Me too ! Thank you for your help, always appreciated.
I guess I will be gioing back to 7 soon.

Reaction score
Me too ! Thank you for your help, always appreciated.
I guess I will be gioing back to 7 soon.

Under the circumstances, going back to Win 7 appears to be the best solution.
Make sure immediately after reverting back to Win 7, go to Windows Update and set Manual Update.
When new updates are offered to install, go over theb list of updates.
If you see KB3035583, do NOT install it. That is the one that puts the Get Windows 10 icon on your system tray.
Right click at it and click Hide.

Ask a Question