I cant save the screensaver configuration on booting Win10

Reaction score
Hi, I have upgraded from Win8.1... It seems all is workin +10, but just a few days ago I see this thing. I set the screensaver to 10 minutes delay, I choosse the 3D animation and bingo . nice like in y old Win 8.1. The problem is simple. When I shutoff my pc and start again the screensaver settings change again to 1 minute( default) and no 3D sacreensavere any more !! I must set again to X minutes, select the animation , apply and save and this over and over . Never problems before with my Win 8.1. I use the same hardware and apps. Everything is the same on my PC than before, Any idea? Im new with this ?

Reaction score
Hi.
I am also having the same problem as Miguel.....
I've upgraded from 8.1 and everything is running beautifully except for the screensaver. Every time I reboot I need to go back to the screensaver settings and change the wait time from 1 minute to 10. If I don't do this then the screensaver never turns on.
So far I have tried manually changing the figure via regedit, as well as running 'sfc /scannow' via a command prompt. No luck so far. Any other ideas please?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi.
I fixed it.....
Go to Device Manager > Human Interface Devices > disable 'HID-compliant vendor-defined devices.
That did it for me.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Let see. I use a Razer Manba mice. Using the last drivers and the last Synapse software ( screensaver fails). Today I have installed my old mice. the MX Revolution from Logitech. Installed Set Point software and drivers and bingo!!! the screensaver runs 100% ok. I have not unistalled the Razer drivers or Synapse soft. . It seems is a clear bug involving trhe screesavers operation ans mices,s . I cant find any other explanation ,, but son I have installed the Logitech Set Point both mices, are working ok and even the screensaver. After some testing, in my case the Razer Mamba mice is causing the problems.. If I boot with the Razer pulgged in the USB the screensaver fails. With the MX Revolution is all ok.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After some testings re-booting or shutting down , I must to say the problem is the same with both mices- No screensaver !!

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem. The screen saver setting changes to one minute after a complete Shutdown and Startup, but it does not change if I do a Restart, or Hibernate and Startup.
Disabling the HID compliant vendor defined devices corrected the other screen saver problem, i.e., screen saver and other power options not operating according to the timeout settings.

Reaction score
I dont have this entry "HID compliant vendor defined devices" in my system...

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest another option that seems to work for me and I'd like some feedback as to whether it work for others. Here's what I did:

Start/Search and type gpedit.msc, Right click the gpedit results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Group Policy Editor, on the Left Panel, go to User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization/Enable Screen Saver and enable the Policy. Once you have enabled that policy, go down and also enable Screen Saver Timeout. Note that in the Screen Saver Timeout policy there's an option to set the number of second for the timeout with the default being 900 seconds or 15 minutes.
Once you've enabled both policies and set the timeout if different from the default, exit the group policy editor. If you now go the screen saver settings in Control Panel you will notice that the wait period will match the minutes you entered in the group policy editor but it will be grayed out preventing you from changing the value unless you go back into the group policy editor and change it there.
Many were complaining that the wait value reverts to 1 and that is why they turned off fast booting but I have fast booting turned on and with the group policy changes I made my wait time is no longer reverting to 1 minute and remains at 15 minutes.

Will someone please give this a try to see of this solves the problem of the wait time reverting to 1 if you have fast booting turned on? If it doesn't work all you need to go is go back into the group policy editor and set both policies to "Not Configured".

Reaction score
Hi Moondoggy,
I've tried this on my Hp Laptop, Win10 - Pro version and it didn't work.
Fastboot was switched on.
The screensaver settings were greyed out after applying this group policy and I set mine to 240 seconds = 4 minutes.
The screensaver would not activate.
Tried a reboot, still not activating after 4 minutes.
I've also powered off the laptop, left it for 10 minutes, powered back on, screensaver won't activate after 4 minutes.
I also performed a gpupdate /force ,restarted the laptop left it switched on for an hour, the screensaver won't activate.

** I've switched off these policies, changed the fastboot to off, repowered laptop and now the screensaver works
it's reverted back to 1 minute timeout, but it works and if I manually change it to say 8 minutes and save the settings it will work. It also saves this setting of 8 minutes when powered off/ on.

Ask a Question