I don't get it.

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

With Windows 7 reaching EOL January 14 2020 I sure read a lot on Windows 7 forums about how a lot of users are going to keep using Windows 7 unsupported and just refuse to do the Windows 10 free update / upgrade.

When I suggest to the to grab the Windows 10 update / upgrade while it is free and to give Windows 10 a try if for no other reason then to get a digital license.

OMG all of the reasons such as Microsoft ethics and how Microsoft is going to control my computer once I install Windows 10 and then not to mention all of the data collection that Microsoft will collect and sell and use how they want.

Are these users for real or are they just paranoid.

Do these users think using a unsupported and unsecured Windows OS is a good idea.

I'm aware of all the collection of user data however some of that collection of my data can be turned down by how I the user chooses to set up the user settings on my Windows 10 computer.

It's not just Microsoft collecting user data.

I wonder how many of these users are using Google Chrome / Android / Apple they collect user data and sell it for advertising you think any of those users realize that.

I to was somewhat concerned for the same reasons and then realized regardless of what I used somehow / somewhere / someway via any business or medical facility or credit card and banks my user data is already out in cyber space somewhere.

Perhaps it's just me but I don't understand I mean it's the same old same old with Windows 7 now reaching EOL just as it was years ago with Windows XP.

I wonder if it's the same users.

I don't like a lot of things about Windows 10 however it's free and it seems to work well for what I need to use a computer for and with minimal effort it works without problems on my 2010 computers.

My two bits.

Life is good.;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree. There are other aspects that has me tiffed about Windows 10. But that is not stopping me from using the OS.

Reaction score
People are very set in their ways, I did an upgrade for a friend recently and her favourite game doesn't work, I haven't heard the last of it LOL!. :)

Reaction score
Yeah I'm 67 years old and somewhat set in my ways to however I allow for changes that come along.

Guess that's what makes us all different. :)

Reaction score
People are very set in their ways, I did an upgrade for a friend recently and her favourite game doesn't work, I haven't heard the last of it LOL!. :)
I have a couple of clients like that, fortunately the Win7/8 games still work for them. Also have a couple that created a bunch of recipes in Microsoft Works on their older computers which was discontinued with version 9.x several years ago, nice that the free LibreOffice can still work with those .wps file types.

Reaction score
Does MS Office open those old formats? I can't remember if they do or not.
No, at least 2013 wouldn't. But Microsoft Works was first followed by Works Suite which had the word processor part replaced by a version of Microsoft Word, maybe the same as in a current version of Microsoft Office or the previous version. As I recall Works was only $50 or included in the price of a new computer and Works Suite was twice that.

Reaction score
As I recall Works was only $50 or included in the price of a new computer and Works Suite was twice that.

I have Works Suite that came with a Dell desktop I bought many years ago seems it was several CDs.

I have LibreOffice installed on my Windows 10 and it seems to work well for the little bit of office type stuff I need to do.

Reaction score
I have Works Suite that came with a Dell desktop I bought many years ago seems it was several CDs.
I have LibreOffice installed on my Windows 10 and it seems to work well for the little bit of office type stuff I need to do.
It sounds good.How much does it cost?

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score

You are right, Works Suite did come on several discs, think what I have is a set of 5. Works that came with computers usually was just 1 disc.

Reaction score
As I mentioned, Works and Works Suite were discontinued several years ago, might be hard to find a copy for purchase.
They're available on ebay.

Reaction score
You are right, Works Suite did come on several discs, think what I have is a set of 5. Works that came with computers usually was just 1 disc.
The set that came with my Dell was five CDs.

Here's an oem Dell bundle however the box is different.

Reaction score
Apparently she does not know about "Install in compatibility Mode" my Win 7 games still install and play.

Reaction score
I have a couple of clients like that, fortunately the Win7/8 games still work for them. Also have a couple that created a bunch of recipes in Microsoft Works on their older computers which was discontinued with version 9.x several years ago, nice that the free LibreOffice can still work with those .wps file types.
why not convert them, that i what I do for my wife's .wps

Reaction score
what getting a converter (77 here) and never too old to learn. and besides it is FREE.
The Microsoft Works word processor files use the .wps file extension. The simplest method to convert a .wps file to a Microsoft Word format is simply to open the file in Works and use "Save As" to save the file in .doc or .docx format.
or
Most versions of Microsoft Word can open a WPS file, as well as Microsoft Publisher. However this format has been discontinued since 2006 and replaced with the standard MS Word DOC format. Actions: WPS to DOC - Convert file now View other document file formats: Technical Details: The file format WPS is used by Microsoft Works Word Processor files.

Ask a Question