I Think I Messed Up My Windows Media Player

Reaction score
Also, I think that I'm confused about the path of those files. Because I think that they are actually Extra Storage > D:\ > Music > D:\ ? :confused: But that doesn't seem to make sense.

Reaction score
Plus, see this.
music.and.d.folders.2.png

Reaction score
Anything listed between Quick Access and the C: drive usually are simply shortcuts to the actual folders in C:\Windows\Users\USERNAMEHERE, can be verified by right-clicking and Properties to see the Path. Additional drives will be below the C: drive. Above This PC are the Quick Access items and between This PC and the C: drive are the Libraries.

1681301926161.png

Reaction score
Anything listed between Quick Access and the C: drive usually are simply shortcuts to the actual folders in C:\Windows\Users\USERNAMEHERE, can be verified by right-clicking and Properties to see the Path.
So, can that be seen under the "Location" tab in Properties?
Additional drives will be below the C: drive. Above This PC are the Quick Access items and between This PC and the C: drive are the Libraries.

View attachment 14375

Reaction score
Also, would questions about how to put MP3 tracks in a media app in the order that I want them to be, a question for the Software forum?
Files are usually arranged by the first character in the name, much of the music I have in folders begin with a number, usually the track number as in 1, 2, 3 or 01, 02, 03, mainly because many songs have the same first letter in their name such The. When the same first letter exists the music tracks will lose their organization hence the need for the number. Files get organized in a folder by the first character or the first 2 characters or the first 3 characters, etc., which is important as no folder can contain 2 or more files of the exact same name. A change of the extension can be useful as one can have 2 or 3 files of the same name but the extension can be different such as .mp3, .wav, .mid, etc., all the same song but different extension and then could be associated with different programs that can play them.

Reaction score
Yes, it's the line in Properties about Location and C:\Users\YOURNAME.
Okay, but this doesn't apply to my Extra Storage D drive. Because all it says under Properties and Location is D:\ . (And that was copied and pasted,) And under Libraries, the items don't even have tabs in their Properties.

Reaction score
Because all it says under Properties and Location is D:\ . (And that was copied and pasted,)

What the D:\ simply indicates is that it hasn't had a Label assigned to it which can be done in Disk Management, on the right-click of it and Rename or in the Command Prompt.

1681698459820.png

Reaction score
Files are usually arranged by the first character in the name, much of the music I have in folders begin with a number, usually the track number as in 1, 2, 3 or 01, 02, 03, mainly because many songs have the same first letter in their name such The. When the same first letter exists the music tracks will lose their organization hence the need for the number. Files get organized in a folder by the first character or the first 2 characters or the first 3 characters, etc., which is important as no folder can contain 2 or more files of the exact same name. A change of the extension can be useful as one can have 2 or 3 files of the same name but the extension can be different such as .mp3, .wav, .mid, etc., all the same song but different extension and then could be associated with different programs that can play them.
Well, if I'm following you correctly, let's say that I put a variety of songs/tracks from a variety of albums into a media player. In my case, I found this media player called AIMP (and please don't judge because it's Russian because it was the only one that I was able to figure out how to use ;)) and I was able to put songs that I had converted into MP3 files, which I had thought that I was putting in the order that I had wanted them in, however, the songs came out in the track order that they were in from the various albums that they were from. Therefore, all the track number 1's from the albums that I used would be the first tracks on my playlists, and then all the track number 2's would be the second songs on my playlist, and then all the track number 3's would be the third songs on my playlist, etc., etc, which were not the order that I had wanted my playlist to be in. Therefore, I would like to understand what happened and how I can get those songs/tracks listed in the order that I want them to be in.

Reaction score
I would like to understand what happened and how I can get those songs/tracks listed in the order that I want them to be in.
Usually an Audio CD holds less than 30 tracks [at least all I've seen]. When a CD has been Ripped to my HDD Music folder using WMP it will have a folder name and list the song titles but it may only list the track numbers. Display of the disc in File Explorer will not show the song title but nearly always does in WMP although I've had some that had to visit the Internet to get the title. And some Rips will have images that match the disc or the case/sleeve it came in.

Here's a Rip of a CD I did as shown in File Explorer:

1681700206634.png

If I wanted to change the saved songs in a different order I could just change the number accordingly. If wanting to add other songs to that folder the numbers may be the same but the name would have to be different or if it is the same song then the number would have to change. Songs downloaded from the Internet don't usually have the number.

Reaction score
What the D:\ simply indicates is that it hasn't had a Label assigned to it which can be done in Disk Management, on the right-click of it and Rename or in the Command Prompt.

View attachment 14377
Okay, I right-clicked on it and renamed it, but it still only says D:\ in Properties and Location. And under Libraries, it's still called Extra Storage D.

Reaction score
Okay, I right-clicked on it and renamed it, but it still only says D ; \ in Properties and Location. And under Libraries, it's still called Extra Storage D.
Be careful, the semi-colon ; isn't used in the Path but the colon : is and no spaces in D:\Name. Have you rebooted after making the change?

Reaction score
Usually an Audio CD holds less than 30 tracks [at least all I've seen].
But I think it depends on the length of the songs. Because from what I know, an audio CD can hold up to 80 minutes of music.
When a CD has been Ripped to my HDD Music folder using WMP it will have a folder name and list the song titles but it may only list the track numbers
Display of the disc in File Explorer will not show the song title but nearly always does in WMP although I've had some that had to visit the Internet to get the title.
Mine always shows the Music folder consisting of both Artist and then album title, and then after that, it lists the song/track names. Also, I recently was playing around with the settings in File Explorer and discovered that I could change the size and style of how my music files are displayed where they can even display the album art/meta data that either came with the albums or that I copied and pasted from the internet like I sometimes do. ;) (Pssst. Don't tell anyone. ;))
And some Rips will have images that match the disc or the case/sleeve it came in.

Here's a Rip of a CD I did as shown in File Explorer:

View attachment 14379
If I wanted to change the saved songs in a different order I could just change the number accordingly. If wanting to add other songs to that folder the numbers may be the same but the name would have to be different or if it is the same song then the number would have to change. Songs downloaded from the Internet don't usually have the number.
But I wouldn't want to do that in my File Explorer because I wouldn't want to change anything with the way my music is on my computer. And for one reason is because on my WMP, I have a lot of Playlists, even though I do know that there are specific files that represent playlists and that the songs themselves are from the same tracks that are from the same music files. But the second reason is because when I first started to rip and store my CDs onto my computer years and years ago, I only ripped them in the WMA or lossless format not realizing that if I ever wanted to transfer my music to portable media to play on other devices (such as cars, or portable players, etc.) that they would have to be in the MP3 format. Therefore, If I'm doing something such as trying to have a get together or something and want to create a playlist, I either have to create an old fashioned CD, :( or I have to use some sort of computer software or program to convert a group of songs to MP3 files and then put them in some sort of player (which is something that I am just now learning how to do). But the problem that I have run into is that this little AIMP player that I mentioned has put my MP3 music files in the incorrect order that I described before in my other post.

Reaction score
Be careful, the semi-colon ; isn't used in the Path but the colon : is and no spaces in D:\Name. Have you rebooted after making the change?
Right. I was just spelling it like that (not really checking) for forum purposes, but I didn't change it or spell it like that or named it that. I only named it: New Music Folder (with the spaces). And no, I have not rebooted.

Reaction score
Well, I'm about to log off for tonight, but I'm still wondering if the Software forum would be a better forum to help me with the AIMP app. Also, do you have any more thoughts about the strange continuous downward moving arrows that I mentioned in the OP?

Reaction score
Hello, Bighorn. I rebooted, but that never gave me a path name for my newly named D: drive.

Ask a Question