Messed up setting up windows 10 on a new laptop

Reaction score
I was trying to setup my wifes new HP laptop and we entered the wrong email setup information so when the computer comes on it shows the log on password screen and I need to get back to where I can enter the correct information but I can't get to anywhere so I can do that . Can anyone help me fix this mess?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can anyone help me fix this mess?
Sure. The first thing you should do is add a new local account as a member of the administrators group.
Click the start button and simply type cmd
The command prompt should appear at the top of the list, right click that and choose Run as Administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice). It may be better to use her first name if your intention is to later convert this local account to a Microsoft Account.

Afterwards when the local account seems to be working as you would expect you can remove the problem account
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts -> Manage another account -> Select the bad account -> Delete the account
You'll be prompted to keep or not to keep any existing profile data.
THEN
When you have everything cleaned up you can use Settings -> Accounts and convert the account to a Microsoft account by clicking the link

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Ask a Question