PC messed up after Windows Update

Reaction score
Hi everybody - Jacquii here. I'm seeking help with getting my PC up and running after a recent windows update.
About my system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63) | i7-4770 3.40GHz CPU | 16GB RAM

I ran windows update a couple days ago to get to my current build. My PC has been messed up ever since. I cannot connect to the internet except for in safe mode. What I've experienced:
  1. Need Updates shows in notification center. Can't open Windows Updates or Settings except for in safe mode. When in safe mode - Windows Update tries to open - seems like it's working to open - but doesn't open at all.
  2. Windows Update icon is missing and does not show in the Control Panel.
  3. Error sometimes appears when opening Windows Update or Settingss: ms-settings:windowsupdate - The wait operation timed out.
  4. Start menu works...sometimes. It'll open - but when selecting a shortcut the app will not open. After selecting a shortcut - the start menu will not open at all, except for the right-click menu.
  5. AVG will not start except for the command line in safe mode.
  6. sfc /scannow shows no anomalies.
  7. Trying to add new admin user fails. Cannot add new user. Seems like it's working to open the add new user prompt - but doesn't open at all.
  8. Microsoft Edge will not open unless in safe mode. Otherwise none of my browsers seem to work correctly. Chrome will open - but seems everything is missing. Will not connect to internet or show anything except an empty browser window. All browsers work fine in Safe mode though.
  9. (Not sure if this is an issue...) System configuration General screen is set to Selective Startup and will not set to Normal Startup as screencapped below.
  10. Probably the weirdest of all screencapped below ==> System configuration Boot screen says Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS
system-config2.png

system-config.png

I've never really had much an issue using Windows Update to keep my system current ... until now. This has been an issue for the past couple days and it's quite frustrating. I've tried a few things and nothing has worked to fix the issue. So - I'm turning to this community for assistance.

I'd like to get my PC up and running without having to reset it. I'll appreciate all the assistance and advise you can offer.
Cheers from Tennessee.

J.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another thing is that pressing F8 during reboot in order to get to safe mode - what comes up is the "Advanced Options" for Windows 7. Quite bizarre! Help please!!! :)

J.

Reaction score
Were you watching the system during the problematic install and if so can you describe some of the visual cues you saw? Were they the normal shutting down with a percentage and starting up with a percentage or something else?

It sort of looks like the system did try to roll back so hard to tell what configuration it might be in.

I looked at my system, which is a new Windows 10 OEM install, and it shows as the attachment. I will have to do some checking on my system. But the boot screen still shows normally but this system was not upgraded.

Msconfig.JPG

Reaction score
Were you watching the system during the problematic install and if so can you describe some of the visual cues you saw?

I generally watch all my upgrades. This one though ... I was multitasking and didn't watch it. I'd never had an issue before - so I just assumed this upgrade would be smooth like the rest were :(

It sort of looks like the system did try to roll back so hard to tell what configuration it might be in.

I looked at my system, which is a new Windows 10 OEM install, and it shows as the attachment. I will have to do some checking on my system. But the boot screen still shows normally but this system was not upgraded.

View attachment 2268
I initially upgraded to Windows 10 at least 6 months ago. Probably a bit longer. So I've had the OS on my machine, working without issue until now. Why would the system try to roll back to Windows 7 without me having selected it?? I also thought you had a window of only 30 days or so in order to roll back to Windows 7....

Any other ideas? Anyone else had such an issue???

J.

Reaction score
I have not heard of you situation happening before. Something seems to have messed with the normal boot but I can't even guess how.

If I had your system, I would first check the bios and make sure the correct boot device is set to boot.

Did you have anything other than a single install on your system? Have you tried using any of the OEM boot options which may have invoked a Windows 7 repair utility?

Since you can't get into the system, not much else to do there unless you can boot to a Command Prompt you might be able to check the drive using the Windows 7 stuff.

Ask a Question