Icon separation inside folders

Reaction score
All items inside folders are shown too separate in my windows 10 home 1709. It happens with images, other folders, ... all items, when you choose LARGE ICON, or MEDIUM ICON.

I was used to view my computer folders as "medium icons" but now it's painful. It's frustrating because you cannot see very much in the screen. I tried to adjust "Window Metrics" in the registry, but it seems that only Desktop icons are adjusted.

Is there a solution for adjusting icon size inside folders?
Folder Icons Separation.png

Reaction score
Don't know a 'solution' but I have noticed some views provide spacing according to the largest item in a folder such as a wider image than the rest or maybe a longer file name, quite similar to how things are displayed in Table cell or Spreadsheet cells. Or maybe think Grid as Desktop items are shown/arranged.

Reaction score
Have you attempted to arrange/sort your folders using explorer? Open the folder in the toolbar at the top you will see titles "Sort by" Arrange by" there are many options, choose one to your liking. I believe the default is arrange by "Type"

Reaction score
Don't know a 'solution' but I have noticed some views provide spacing according to the largest item in a folder such as a wider image than the rest or maybe a longer file name, quite similar to how things are displayed in Table cell or Spreadsheet cells. Or maybe think Grid as Desktop items are shown/arranged.

It's not because a "large" item. It's the default spacing. The default spacing inside folders is way too big.

Reaction score
After some investigation, I think it's related to the screen (4k screen). The problem seems to be that, on a 4k screen, the thumbnail size of each folder item stays small, even in the large icons options. The display setting "change the size of text, apps and other items" is set to 250% (default), but the icons remain 100%.

Reaction score
Perhaps using the tile view might satisfy? It wont decrease the spacing, but will give you a larger overall view.

Reaction score
OK, what about seeing if reducing the font ..etc.. size will help. I need mine at 125%,but smaller certainly reduces the spacing.

Settings System - display

Reaction score
OK, what about seeing if reducing the font ..etc.. size will help.

Font size is ok! No need to change that.

The problem is the thumbnail size, that doesn't increase over 100% when it should (= when system display DPI is set over 100%).

Reaction score
Looks like a situation where you have to live with it - sorry.. Perhaps feedback would help (I doubt it)

Reaction score
That's a basic feature for 4k screen computers, not to mention 5k. There should be a solution available.

Windows 10 sucks in folder managing. You can't even "auto-arrange" icons inside folders. WTF? It's awful that such a basic option is not available in the latest and "best" OS, as windows promotes it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Fall Update introduced a new feature, and in doing so, additional space was added to the left side of any folder or icon displayed, to make room for displaying the onedrive sync icon, which lets you know you have synced a folder or file to One Drive.

This change is reflected in the Assembly file: ExplorerFrame.dll located at C:\Windows\System32

If it's bothering you you can grab the ExplorerFrame.dll from a copy of Windows 10 Creator and stick this in the system32 directory to replace the current one.

Any additional spacing issues, can only be resolved by a number of people notifying Microsoft of their desire to have this option made available as it once was in Windows editions such as XP and Vista.

You could open a thread via the Feedback Hub built into Windows.

Ask a Question