Impractically slow mouse lag when using two monitors. Please Help :)

Reaction score
I have an HP 23-Q110NA A10 which is about 2 months old. I'm connecting a second hand PC monitor so that I can use dual screens. The problem is that when both monitors are connected, the mouse goes through phases of having a huge lag from when I scroll to a position until the pointer gets there, to the point that it's unusable for anything other than social purposes. I have to coax it to where I want and this can take a while. Some of the time, again with dual monitors in use, when typing characters, the same character will duplicate itself several times, so for instance, 'time', might come out as 'tiiimeeeeee'. I really have no idea what to do. I have been in touch with Curry's tech support but in truth haven't got anywhere in terms of resolving this. It probably doesn't help that I really know very little about computers, so technical terms mean nothing to me.

I have reset the PC twice, once keeping files and the other time not. The time I did reset without keeping files I think it was much better for the first week or two. It seemed to get worse when I opened a photo editing package and resolved itself once it was closed down again (I cannot be 100% sure though that these the lag was actually linked to this, it might have been coincidence). It's back to being as bad as it ever was now though regardless of whether the photo editing package is/has been used.

I would really appreciate any help, if someone out there knows how to fix this, or would you be able to post a dummy's guide as to how to resolve it please?

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
How are you connecting the 2nd monitor to your AIO HP PC? What is the make/model of 2nd monitor? Do you have the issue when the 2nd monitor is disconnected?

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me.

The second monitor didn't have an HDMI port so I'm using a converter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZMV7RL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second PC I'm connecting it to is a refurb. HP L1940T, though it might contain parts from another PC. I have also connected it to a Fujitsu Siemens monitor, again refurb, possibly also with parts from other PC's. The problem was the same with both second PC's.

I'm having no problems when a second monitor is disconnected.

Reaction score
Edit/Update

I don't know whether this is of any value, but came across this

With a guy who had the same problem. The thing I noticed is that you can see in the top right of his screen that he has photo editing/printer software, it looks like the same software as I have (canon) - that display looks identical to mine, the one that I was wondering whether was causing the problem as it slowed down just after that software had been started up.

Am going to try his advice, and uninstall to see if there's any change. Will update.

Reaction score
... Think it might be sorted. I looked at the task manager and saw that the Norton Antivirus Software, which came pre-installed with the computer seemed to have quite a few components running. I uninstalled it and it's all working perfectly now :)

Ask a Question