Incorrect Location in Maps, Weather Apps

Reaction score
I moved from Pennsylvania to New York 2 months ago. Geolocation is incorrect in Weather app, Maps app, Firefox desktop on Windows 10, it gives off my OLD address. Random sites that ask for location that is.

Clean Windows 10 Install
Clean Firefox Install
Not behind VPN
Different ISP in NY than in PA
Geolocation is accurate in Safari iPhone on the same WiFi network

I used Firefox account password reset, even that email gave the correct info: Firefox on Windows 10 My Town, NY, United States (estimated)

Testing
https://browserleaks.com/geo (shows my old Pennsylvania town)
https://whatismyipaddress.com/ (shows correct NY current location)
Google = shows correct NY current location
Home Depot = shows old PA town
Maxmind = shows correct NY current location
IP2location = shows correct NY current location

Firefox Options / Privacy & Security / Saved Addresses = EMPTY

The baffling thing is Windows 10 weather app and maps app does the same thing, shows old PA town. Others complain of the same bug in Window 10 too.

cortana.pnglocation.pnglocation-2.pnglocation-privacy.png

Reaction score
My guess is the apps are getting your old address from places like Microsoft [if you have an account with them and haven't changed it yet] or maybe from somewhere on your computer if you've ever saved it in a file or document, etc. It may be hard to find, there may be only two solutions, a system reset or a full reinstall to remove anything still on the computer. A downside of the Internet is information about a person can reside there forever.

Reaction score
System reset or full reinstall. Right.

My first post states that I installed both Windows 10 "clean" and Firefox as well. This issue is with MS' garbage Windows 10, not my end, ISP, files, accounts, etc.

Reaction score
Have you tried selecting the cogwheel in the app and either resetting the location or , alternatively, putting it to automatic?

Reaction score
Have you tried selecting the cogwheel in the app and either resetting the location or , alternatively, putting it to automatic?

It is set to automatic already and the cogwheel is useless. Nothing works.

Reaction score
If nothing works, your problem is more serious than not finding your location, I think. In the menu there is the option to "change your default" location..

Reaction score
This does not work.

Installed Windows 10 clean again today, skipped logging into my MS account and stuck with "local account". Same issue replicated in Maps, Weather apps. STILL shows my OLD PA address!

Reaction score
I cannot offer a comment, as I only use an MS Account, so I am not certain if you can change anything if only in a local account:

1587614699510.png

Ask a Question