SOLVED Incorrect name entered for PC during upgrade of boot drive.

Reaction score
My OS disc for Win 10 was installed on the SSD drive which is serving as the upgrade for the boot drive. The tech asked me what I wanted to name the computer. I gave him Frederic PC which I feel was an error. The name of the PC on the Microsoft registry is Frederi PC. I am looking for help to restore the system. I am not all that knowledgeable about computer stuff. I will ask if wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS while renaming the PC with the correct name would resolve my problem. I look forward to your comments

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 10.30.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 10.30.38.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Try right-click of the Start/Windows button then click System, should be able to change the name of the computer there. That is different from the User name shown in C:\Users, changing that can be more involved.

1685922688975.png

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I have some help to check out some aspects of the fix. I hope to see more suggestions

Reaction score
One thing I've had success with but takes some attention and patience not to screw things up is to be logged into the computer with Administrative Rights, in Control Panel go to Users or in Settings to Accounts, set up a new user with the desired name and with Admin. Rights [I like the Local Account instead of the Microsoft Account]. Don't necessarily need a password. Restart the computer and choose the new login account. If it works properly you can then delete the old account but be sure to save files. I copy anything I don't want to lose to another drive 'just in case'.

Reaction score
I have made a screenshot of your reply. I have a tech who will help with this. I will share the info. Thanks.

Reaction score
It has been a few days and the work on the PC has not been done. If the more complex steps are taken and the former log on name (frederi pc) is entered will I restore the data in documents, pictures, bookmarks and show in the profile both a 'C' and 'D' drives, etc.
I welcome your input. I hope to close this thread really soon

Reaction score
Wish you success. It is a pain when installing Windows that the early needs for entering data can't be later changed easily such as the User name, Language, etc. Changing the PC/Computer name is not as big an issue as it is mostly used when on a Network with other computers for proper identification.

Reaction score
My tech will be by here in a couple of hours I will see how his call helps. Hopefully i can respond with good news. Thanks.

Ask a Question