Unable to login to domain accounts. "The user name or password is incorrect."

Reaction score
I'm having an issue logging into domain accounts on a brand new Win 10 computer. I successfully connected to the domain and I've gone into accounts and added three different domain accounts, but when I try to login with any of them it tells me that "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again." I can only log in with the local account.

I know the passwords are correct. I've never once run into this issue, before. I'm out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've gone into accounts and added three different domain accounts
You shouldn't have to actually add domain users to local users group on a Domain joined workstation.
First make sure that your preferred DNS server is pointing at your domain DNS server on your active directory domain.
You can do a quick ipconfig /all on each machine and see where it is looking for preferred DNS name resolution.
IF the local machine has joined the Domain and is pointing to the Domain DNS server for name resolution then Domain users should have log on locally rights to each domain joined workstation, but......
Locally, to ease your pain, you may want to include the "Domain Users" group to the "Local" administrators group on each of the machines in question.

I assume that you can log on locally using the Domain Admin account?

Reaction score
Hey,

Thanks so much for the response. It's resolved now by just resetting the OS. I did everything exactly the same this time and it's fine. I have no idea how it got bungle the first time. The only difference is that I was connected via WiFi the first time and this time I connected through Ethernet.

Just for reference, since you were nice enough to answer:

Yes, was pointing to the DNS server. Everything looked correct when running ipconfig. No, I couldn't log on locally with any domain account, including the Domain Admin account. It was really a strange one.

Thanks again.

Ask a Question