Unable to Login

Reaction score
I have just downloaded Windows 10 to my Compaq computer, upgrading it from windows 7. This was the free update onine. Before down loading the downloader verified my computer was ok for the upgrade. I am stuck with the "Hi there, welcome back!" screen, and although I correctly type my password, the computer then just hangs and nothing happens. I can reboot it but get no other response than this - although if I type an incorrect password it gives me an incorrect password error message.
I am now stuck with a computer that I cannot use!
Please tell me how to resolve this issue.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
although I correctly type my password, the computer then just hangs and nothing happens
I assume that you've left it just set there for a reasonable amount of time?
At the login screen there may be an link for sign in options, does that do anything? Or a link stating something like "not me" or "I'm not".... anything like that?
Do you have more than one account on this computer?

You can use the power button to restart while holding down the shift key which should present you with some advanced troubleshooting options, one of which should allow you to revert back to your previous version of Windows (possibly), another should give you some advanced startup option including Safe Mode. I'm not sure that Safe Mode will provide anything different, but it might be worth a shot.

Reaction score
Thanks for response. I had to go to professional help and it turned out the netgear wireless router was preventing the update from fully configuring (or at least, by disabling the router the upgrade finished). But then the router would not work once we were running in Windows 10. Am getting it back today hopefully all sorted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Am getting it back today hopefully all sorted.
Fingers crossed. Good luck and keep us posted.
First time I've heard of a wireless router being at fault, but it is certainly good to know and something else to consider.

Ask a Question