Unable to login to Windows 10 upgrade with new Microsoft Account

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I never did setup or used a password to login to Windows 7. Using the new Microsoft Account email and password created on upgrade, the Windows 10 Login Screen now tells me I have an incorrect password yet I am able to access the Microsoft Account with the same username and password on my Windows 7 laptop - no problem. The Windows 10 does not allow me access to anything unless I enter the correct password. It also tells me I can fix the problem through the account.live.com website which is where the new username and password DO WORK!?! How can I get past this issue and/or rollback to Windows 7 if the upgrade doesn't allow me past this login screen?

Reaction score
Welcome to the club.. I went to MSFT store yesterday to get this fixed.. No luck(one other person was there with same issue).. They told me Windows is aware of the situation and will put out an update in the next week or two. In the time being, they set me up with an admin login.. Great, don't care how I login, just get me to my dang computer. Well silly me, I left without checking and I login thru admin and it won't let me open Microsoft edge or any app , "Microsoft edge can't be opened using the built in admin account. Sign in with a different account and try again." This is my 2nd day dealing with this, including an online chat with a rep who had nothing for me.. Very pathetic

Reaction score
Well, I guess it's SAME OLD, SAME OLD with MSFT!!!! I was told that they can't help me and to ask the computer manufacturer for assistance when the comment was "It's a misconfiguration in the registry" and we can't help!?!?! Isn't the "registry" part of the MS OS???? MSFT uses the same old tactic of blaming someone else when it's an issue created by their software upgrade. The only thing that changes on an upgrade is the software - NOT THE HARDWARE!! I was told they can't break in and do a rollback! The only answer for my situation seems to me is to slave the hard drive to another computer hard drive and map it for recovering all my personal data - but that could still be a very big "IF" since I don't know what they've done to the root and directory structure during the upgrade! Everyone that I encounter concerning the Windows 10 upgrade will be advised to NOT DO IT!!

Reaction score
Hi there, I encounter the same issue. I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 last Tuesday. Since then I cannot access my new laptop anymore. Keeps telling me that my PW is wrong. I did PW recovery with my old laptop via web browser - to no avail. Still not working. How can I at least add an administrator account in order to access my data? I have tried online chat - not of help, tried email support - no result, tried telephone helpline - transfer ended in an endlessly ringing line. I cannot believe that there seems to be no solution to this problem. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question