Incorrect password but typing in correct password

Reaction score
my laptop crashed randomly and when I got back and was about to login there was no password prompt. I reset it turned off then on 3 times so that I was able to use safe mode to enter my password ( i was told to do this when I was looking for help with the password prompt) now that it is in safe mode, I am entering the correct password but it is saying it is incorrect. I tried different variations and old passwords. I am pretty sure it is a local account but I rest my Microsoft password to see if it would work but it didn't. I've tried resetting multiple times but is still not working. It says I can reset password with a USB but the USB is not a password reset disk.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried.... from the sign-in screen, using the easy of access icon near the bottom left to bring up the On Screen Keyboard and used that to enter your password?
Have you tried an alternate keyboard (USB wired keyboard)?
Are you certain that you are using the correct keyboard layout? Sometimes there is a mismatch, in which case you may see a language icon on your screen.
Have you used the "Eye" icon within the password textbox to confirm that the password is being entered, exactly as you intend?
I rest my Microsoft password to see if it would work but it didn't. I've tried resetting multiple times but is still not working.
As far as resetting you Microsoft password, I believe for this to actually work that you will need a network connection during sign-in and of course Safe Mode doesn't produce one. Perhaps Safe Mode with Networking might work.
Is the Network icon on the sign-in screen (also bottom left area) reflecting a connection or does it have an "X" on it?

Reaction score
I've tried using the onscreen keyboard and using the eye icon and the password is being typed as I intended. I did the reset 3 times to use safe mode with networking but it is still not working. It says I am connected to my house WiFi but there is a symbol which I think is Ethernet, but there an X on it. I tried using my Ethernet cable but when I plugged it in nothing appears

Reaction score
I've decided to reset my laptop and wipe everything but at 30% it says problem resetting. I tried doing it again but at or around 30% it comes up with the problem page

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 Professional that I upgraded to Windows 10 when it first became available. Last year I added a password. Everything worked fine. I did not use the pc over the summer and when I came back to it, it says incorrect password when I try to log onto the computer. I have tried numerous times entering a password. I have turned the computer off and restarted it several times. No success. I reset the computer using the restore where you get to keep your files but lose any apps. No success. Any help?

Reaction score
At the login screen are you seeing the User name correctly? On the Password dialog box are you seeing black dots or asterisks? Some versions of Windows may have a symbol of eye/eyebrow at the right end of the Password box which when clicked and held will show what has actually been typed [release the mouse and it's hidden again].

Reaction score
I've decided to reset my laptop and wipe everything but at 30% it says problem resetting. I tried doing it again but at or around 30% it comes up with the problem page

Not sure what you mean by resetting. Are you trying to return to the original setup as purchased (Resetting), or reverting back to the status of a few weeks ago (System Restore), or trying to reinstall windows (various methods and objectives)? Each has different implications and probably different solutions.

This may explain it better:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/technology/personaltech/windows-restore-reset-recover.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question