W10 log on: " The password is incorrect. Try again" !!!!

Reaction score
Installed W10 Professional on a W7 Professional Sony Vaio pc today. I did not waste(!) my time creating a password reset disk, unfortunately.......

All was fine .... until the first time I closed Windows down - because, at first log on attempt I got the above, not very friendly message. The damn thing is totally blocked and useless now.

It is NOT a question of language or keyboard layout (without being a nerd, I consider myself an experienced user). The password is 110 per cent CORRECT- I have been using the very same for years, on this and other pc's. It is a Microsoft bug!

Please help out

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the same problem , there is nothing you or I can do as the new update only uses a limited key board lay out as $#&() will not work only asdfASDF1234 will work . try setting up a new user acc you might see what i mean by doing that?

Reaction score
Thank you - but it is the password for Windows as such that is rejected as incorrect and not that of a Microsoft account (that I never had and won't have!)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Caillou (my grand daughter's favorite cartoon when she was little) and welcome to the forum.
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Another option that I have used successfully is a third party software boot disk.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. Keeps telling me that my password is incorrect, however, I used my password to get in several times before and was having no problems. Then suddenly one day I used my password on lockscreen, got in and was browsing fine, I took a short break, walked away and came back to a locked up screen, so I restarted the laptop and it came back to startpage, I clicked over to the lock screen, tried to enter my password and it said it was incorrect! I have now been locked out of my computer for about 3-4 months. I even did what the promp said and went to account.live.com/password/reset .... All that did is change my live account password for my email and microsoft.
I do not understand the instructions that Trouble gave and I don't know what to do now. I desperately need to use my computer. Please help if you can.

Ask a Question