Windows 10 tells me my password is incorrect

Reaction score
I've seen this elsewhere, but none of the questions or answers applied to my problem, so here goes.

I have a brand-new computer, which I JUST took out of the box. I decided to password-protect it. Stupid me. Now, windows 10 tells me that my password is incorrect. I can't change it, because it won't accept the damn thing. I know it's correct, because it's the only one I EVER use, and I click the eye to make sure it's typed in correctly. Everything is connected securely.

I end up having to restart the computer from the password screen, then when the computer comes back up, I put the password in and it gets accepted. I don't want to have to count on that though, because what if, the next time, it DOESN'T work? I know enough about computers to turn them on and browse the internet. I don't know how to troubleshoot or go into the registry or any of that other stuff. I need a solution that is easy for someone who is mostly computer-illiterate, so I won't end up wrecking my computer.

So I want to just get rid of the password so it won't even be an issue I have to deal with at all. But if it won't accept my password to change the password, how am I supposed to get rid of the password altogether?

I just want to be able to turn my computer on and use it, not fight with it every damn time. Someone please help me before I totally lose it.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Update:

I tried typing netplwiz and disabling the password requirement. I unchecked the box, but it didn't change anything...all it did was give me two login names instead of one, neither of which will accept the password. I had to shut down my computer entirely this time to get it to accept the password, rather than just restart/

Reaction score
[joke]
Have you considered turning off your powers as poor old Windows 10 only functions in the non-magical world?
Resting the keyboard on some cold iron might help. ;)
[/joke]

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have a brand-new computer, which I JUST took out of the box. I decided to password-protect it.
When you did that, did you use an email address to create your account?
IF it were me, I'd create a new user account as a member of the local administrators group (with or without a password) and use that instead and just forget about the other user account. You can disable it or delete it later if you decide to do so.

Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu and in the Command Prompt window type
net user Ladysidhe /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators Ladysidhe /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as Ladysidhe

That will create a new Administrator user named Ladysidhe without a password (you can add a password later if you choose to do so).
The account doesn't have to be Ladysidhe, I just picked that because it is your forum user name.

Reaction score
Trouble:

I'm pretty sure I didn't use an email...at least, I don't remember doing so. Although I think the second user it created does ask me for an email....which it doesn't accept.

My username for the computer is already ladysidhe. When I disabled the password requirement, it created ANOTHER ladysidhe. I also went into settings>sign in options> [if you've been away, when should windows require you to sign in again? NEVER].

So you're saying I should create a third account?

Last edited:
Reaction score
[joke]
Have you considered turning off your powers as poor old Windows 10 only functions in the non-magical world?
Resting the keyboard on some cold iron might help. ;)
[/joke]

I think you're pretty close to the truth. Computers don't seem to like me very much. This isn't the first computer I've had that's refused a password. I have a laptop I used to keep poetry on, (I didn't even ever go online with it--it was so old that going online wasn't even possible), I just used it for writing, every day for, oh...over a year. It just decided one fine morning to not accept my password anymore. .

Reaction score
I think you're pretty close to the truth. Computers don't seem to like me very much. This isn't the first computer I've had that's refused a password. I have a laptop I used to keep poetry on, (I didn't even ever go online with it--it was so old that going online wasn't even possible), I just used it for writing, every day for, oh...over a year. It just decided one fine morning to not accept my password anymore. .
It certainly is true that magical powers and modern microelectronics just don't get along...possibly deep down in the way the universe works in the quantum mechanical world they are the same thing.
Technology you don't understand is indistinguishable from Magic. Arthur C Clarke.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So you're saying I should create a third account?
I guess I'm saying.....
Create a User Account that behaves the way you want it to.
As I said earlier...
The account doesn't have to be Ladysidhe.
Sorry I'm not familiar with that particular character so I can't actually be more helpful with suggestions

I have a brand-new computer, which I JUST took out of the box.
Depending on which version of Windows 10 the computer came installed with, you might want to manually check for Windows Updates and see if more recent updates provide any relief from the problem with the second user name issue that was evidently caused by using the netplwiz utility.
I heard of that happening often in earlier releases but haven't heard of it happening on any of the more recent releases.
So that might be worthy of some investigation. You should be running

Capture.PNG

Right click the start button and choose Run from the context menu and in the run dialog box type
winver
hit enter or click OK.

Just trying to avoid a reset and starting over again from the beginning.

Ask a Question