Install Win 10 on FreeBSD system

Reaction score
I have a working FreeBSD machine (that needs to stay working wo/ any reinstalls) and want to add Windows 10 on a second SSD to the setup. What is the safest way to set this up for dual boot (starting with installing Windows)?

This is a desktop unit.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You want to make sure all other drives that are attached are unplugged. Then attach the drive you want to install windows on. Then install windows on it using the MCT from MS. Once that drive is up and running correctly. Then power off and reattach all other drives. Then when you boot up....use F12 to select boot drive.

Reaction score
My question about this would be how FreeBSD would meet the "needs to keep working" requirement since dual-booting has to shut one OS down when running the other. I don't do dual-booting nor VM/Virtual Machine since over time I've been able to acquire computers cheaply/free to run a few different OSes, Win10 Pro, Win10 Home, Win10 Insider and Linux Mint on a KVM switch.

Reaction score
hmmmm. Last FreeBSD machine I was anywhere near was running a firewall and had absolutely had to stay up 24*365.
No one would have ever considered running another OS on that machine.

Reaction score
It may be easier to run Windows in a virtual machine. All depending on what you need Windows for.

Reaction score
I have a working FreeBSD machine (that needs to stay working wo/ any reinstalls) and want to add Windows 10 on a second SSD to the setup. What is the safest way to set this up for dual boot (starting with installing Windows)?
Attach the drive you want to install windows on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question