Installing a new windows 10 pro

Reaction score
A friend has a generic machine purchased about two years ago. At the time he ordered a 32 bit version, windows 7. Since then he has upgraded to windows 10 (he's not trying to switch to a 64 bit). His system appears to work fine, but I guess seeing my machine, which is a 64bit version and purchased a windows 10 pro he feels as though he could have a cleaner and faster system working. I don't feel qualified to answer his question. My answer usually is, "if it works fine, let it be". Any more professional thoughts out there?

Reaction score
Did he get the upgrade during the free upgrade period?? if that is the case, his computer is already registered with MS. Basically he can delete everything and reinstall a clean windows 10 system without the need to install the windows 7 first. Its called a "digital Entitlement". All he needs to do is to get the appropriate 32 bit version via the Media Creation Tool (If he had Win7 Home, then he needs to get Win10 Home, otherwise he can get the pro version)

Reaction score
The differences between Pro an home version are negligible, as far as OS speed it would be minor. Personally I'd say leave as is if it's working fine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Correct..... he's not going to see any performance enhancements between Home and Pro.
And comparing your 64 bit system to his 32 bit system is not likely to be Apples to Apples unless of course they are identical in physical characteristics. Same processor, same amount of memory, same hard disk (ssd versus spinner) etc., etc. Not to mention any and all third party software installed.
However..... IF he has a 64 bit processor and 4 gigs or more of memory (RAM) installed he may be missing out on some possible performance having a 32 bit operating system installed on his computer.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, I'll convey the message and let him decide. I don't care to make choices for others.

Ask a Question