Installing Windows 10 using my BIOS product key

Reaction score
Hello Staff Forum,

My Description Problem:
After I have completed installing windows 10, through my bootable USB drive of the windows 10 installation media, my computer would start restart. (I used my product key from my BIOS setting)
After my computer restarted, the computer would revert back to the beginning stage of installing windows 10 as if I never installed windows 10. (please note: I am using a new hard drive, after I had acknowledged my old hard drive was failing).
I did not receive any error or failed messages while trying to install windows 10.

My Question:
Is there any recommendation on what might have led me into this problem?

(I would greatly appreciate any responses, and I am willing to provide more details)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Your not supposed to enter the PK when using the embedded PK. Just leave it blank and after the install is complete it will automatically activate.

Reaction score
Following up on bassfisher6522 reply message:

I tried several times to install windows 10 without entering the product key code, that is embedded in my PC, but I have NOT received any luck. The installation process starts all over

Description Problem:
After processing the installation of Windows 10 on my brand new hard drive, my PC would request for a restart.
After my PC restarted, the process of installation reverts back to beginning stage as if I didn't install Windows 10.
(Again, I didn't receive any pop-up error/failed messages of any kind during this process)

Additional Information about my PC:
I've had my HP SleekBook Model 4T-1000 laptop since 2011, which basically holds an old BIOS setting. I was able to download from Windows 7 to 8 a while ago; I do recall that my PC had offered a Windows 10 update available to my PC, but I deferred that update unfortunately.

I'm not sure what is causing this problem, as I don't receive any error/failed message of any kind.

Any recommendations on why this problem is occurring and possible solutions of any kind will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
After my PC restarted, the process of installation reverts back to beginning stage as if I didn't install Windows 10.
IS it possible that your drive hosting the installation media is set as the first device in the BIOS boot order and as a consequence the installation process seems to be repeating over and over again?

Reaction score
My apologies (I should have re-word this better) I didn't technically retrieve the product key directly from my BIOS setting. The product key is provided underneath my PC as a Microsoft label.

I Google search Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, and I used the first web link that is Microsoft.com/software-download/windows10. I used the option to create a USB bootable.

The make/model of my PC is the HP Envy SleekBook model 4T-1000. In addition, Windows 7 was the OS provided. (please note: I replaced my failing old hard drive with a new hard drive).

Additional Information:
Also too, I initially downloaded Windows 8 on my new hard drive, but only to found that my product wouldn't work for later Windows versions. During my installation process, I do delete this Windows 8 OS from my new hard drive, before proceeding to download Windows 10.

Any recommendations on why this problem is occurring and possible solutions of any kind will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
IS it possible that your drive hosting the installation media is set as the first device in the BIOS boot order and as a consequence the installation process seems to be repeating over and over again?

Prior to attempt to install the Windows 10, I was able to change my boot options or order as the USB drive, as the first option, and my hard drive, as the second option.

Question for Trouble:
Which drive were you referring to?
"IS it possible that your drive hosting the installation media is set as the first device in the BIOS boot order.."

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As said..... that would be the "drive" or in your case perhaps the, "device" hosting the installation media. That is..... the media used to install Windows 10.
AND
Normally, you would not want to leave it as you primary / first boot device after the install or else it will just keep booting from that and offering to install Windows 10.
You would want to switch back to or just to, the drive where you install Windows 10 as your first drive / device in your boot order.

Reaction score
Understood on the drive hosting the Windows 10 installation media.

Question: Would I change the boot order options, in the BIOS setting, as the PC is going for a restart?

Reaction score
Now this begs the question; what's the make/model of your PC....since you say "underneath", I'm guessing that this is a laptop? How old is this? What version of windows did it come with?

Hmm...I posted this information today at 2:38PM, but I just didn't mention that this is a laptop and this was bought during 2011 with Windows 7 as its provided OS. However, I was presented to upgrade to Windows 10, and unfortunately I deferred this updated.

Possible Solution:
For now, I will try to change my boot order option in my BIOS setting, when my laptop prompts to restart as soon as the installation is completed. Hopefully this work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to set your boot order in your BIOS to reflect your hard drive as the #1 first in boot order, and......
Since it's an HP use the Escape key (Esc) top left of your keyboard to select from a one time boot menu for the purpose of temporarily booting from an optional devices (something further down the boot order) without the need of changing it in the actual BIOS boot order.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I was presented to upgrade to Windows 10, and unfortunately I deferred this updated.
So you didn't upgrade back then. Have you ever upgraded from 7 to 10 before now? If you haven't, then you'll never be able to upgrade to the CU or the FCU.

There's still a chance you can upgrade your windows 7 to 10....slim, but there are reports out there stating as such. Otherwise, you're going to have to purchase windows 10.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
OK...in post 4, you went from 7 to 8. Did that include 8.1? Then from 8/8.1 you chose to not upgrade to 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure, but I don't think any of that will make a difference in, installing Windows 10 from media onto a new hard drive.
It probably won't activate without purchasing a key, you won't be able to personalize it, and it may act a little wonky, but....
You should still be able to install it without the problem he is reporting in his OP

Reaction score
Product ID's (labels) were eliminated starting with Windows 8.0.
Right. It does help if installing over an already running version of Windows. The Digital Entitlement/License is stored on a Microsoft computer "somewhere", haven't seen a problem when installing on a new HDD or SSD but to activate a connection to the 'net is needed at some point but doesn't to be done right away. Can wade through the screens to get to the point where a Microsoft Account is not needed, installs as a Local.

Ask a Question