Internet shortcut WRONGLY links to print command.

Reaction score
In 32bit Win10 Pro v1909, when I drag the lock icon from a browser search bar to the desktop, the shortcut created links NOT to the webpage, but to the PRINT command. My concern is NOT with 'How to create an effective Internet Shortcut' but to fix the obvious error involved in the creation of the inappropriate link. The Properties of the faulty link have less tabs than a functional one. I have seen registry keys that include terms for both 'internet shortcut' and 'print', so that seems the most likely source of the error. There are Google Search results reporting this happening all throughout this century, but none of the suggested remedies have worked for me. I wonder if YOU can do better.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Which Browser are you experiencing this issue with?

Or are you experiencing this issue with multiple browsers?

If it's not Edge or IE, but a non-native browser like Chrome, FireFox etcetera then I'd be checking to see whether any recent addons might be the root of the issue. I'd also check to see whether there is a newer build of the Browser to install, and if not, then uninstall, and reinstall the browser to see whether that sorts things.

Reaction score
When I drag the lock icon from Edge to the desktop (or even into an open folder) a 'stop-sign' appears over it, so I can not even make a FAULTY internet shortcut from Edge.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yet you know how to create a shortcut ( you mentioned that in your original post ).

How about using the method you are aware of, instead of wasting time using tips for non-native browsers on Microsoft Edge.

Reaction score
Because my aim is NOT to make a shortcut, but to fix the malfunction that shows up, when a standard procedure is executed. It means there is something wrong, which may well explain why I have had that Print Window open on other inappropriate ocassions - whose details I did not document at the time, and so can not now recall.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Microsoft Edge does not allow you to create a shortcut using the technique you are applying.

The new Chromium based Edge, currently in its final Beta state is due for release on the 15th January 2020. I have not been following this Beta program, so I cannot confirm whether it will allow you to create a shortcut applying your technique.

If you want to find it, you can download the Beta edition of Edge here: https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/

Reaction score
I wrote the result with Edge, because I was asked about the browsers involved. I have NO interest in Edge, nor in CREATING an Internet Shortcut. My interest is in fixing the BUG that is causing a standard procedure to go wrong.

Regedit32

Reaction score
This is not a Windows bug.

You mentioned Edge - and as I just stated, the method you are using to create a shortcut is not applicable to Edge at all.

If this same method is occurring using Chrome or some other non-native browser, then the bug is in the browser or addons you are using.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you think something has corrupted the Windows OS and thus generated this issue you raised then:
  • Press Windows Key + I together to open the Windows Settings dialog
  • Select Apps
  • On left pane select Default apps
  • On right pane scroll down and click Choose default apps by file type
  • In the dialog that opens, scroll down to .URL and confirm its setting is Internet Browser. If it isn't, then click on the setting and select Internet Browser. This will force shortcuts to open to your Default browser.

Reaction score
I took the steps you recommended and found that .url (Internet Shortcut) is ALREADY associated with Internet Browser.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Then that rules out Windows or its Registry being the cause of the issue you have raised.

If you want you can double-check the Registry by opening a Command Prompt and executing the following QUERY:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.URL"

Note: Speech marks are required, and Registry Editor needs to be closed to perform this QUERY.

Sample image of a healthy Registry entry:

cmd.png

Reaction score
I do NOT have the solution, but want to focus attention on the registry where one or more keys contain the terms 'internet shortcut ' AND 'print'. It seems to me those two SHOULD NOT occur 'in the same sentence' so to speak. My search on 'print' NOW, gave 10000 keys; on 'internet shortcut' gave 12, none of which NOW show 'print' as well.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I do NOT have the solution, but want to focus attention on the registry where one or more keys contain the terms 'internet shortcut ' AND 'print'.

Can you post the Keys you are seeing that show both Internet Shortcut and Print.

Reaction score
Regedit32 - The results you show above are the same as the ones I got, except for the last line where you have C:\Users\reged>, but I get
C:\Windows\system32> So I tried to start, like you did, from C:\Users\reged, but got C:\Users>cd\reged
The system cannot find the path specified.

Reaction score
Can you post the Keys you are seeing that show both Internet Shortcut and Print.
I wish I could, but as I have already written, I did not document them at the time of seeing them, and as my SEARCH now shows, could not find it in 10012 entries.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So I tried to start, like you did, from C:\Users\reged, but got C:\Users>cd\reged

reged is the Username on my test computer. It will not be on your computer.

Returning to the prompt you mentioned is normal.

Provided your QUERY showed InternetShortcut as illustrated in the image of my previous post, you can assume your Registry is healthy in terms of what your Internet Shortcuts are supposed to access.

In that scenario, it boils down to - in my opinion - a third party Internet browser application that is some how corrupted.

I wish I could, but as I have already written, I did not document them at the time of seeing them, and as my SEARCH now shows, could not find it in 10012 entries.

The items you mentioned in your Registry that pointed to both an Internet Shortcut and also a Printer, in my opinion are likely to be pointing directly to your faulty shortcuts, or if in the Recently used section of Registry, then pointing to either an existing faulty shortcut, or a now deleted faulty shortcut. All of these entries will likely be located in the HKEY_Current_User hive, unless you have generated shortcuts that can be access by all Users on your computer, in which case, some may also appear under the HKEY_Local_Machine hive.

Reaction score
Microsoft Windows Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.476), so I was wrong in the first post where I claimed it was v1909

Ask a Question