SOLVED Want to open some web sites with Microsoft edge and others with Internet Explorer

AGB

Reaction score
Most of my internet sites I open with Internet explorer short cut icons. No problem except they won't open maximized. The Icon For IE I can change to open "Maximized" but the other short cut Icons don't have that option; and I have tried every trick that has been suggested. But my real question is that my online bank site has notified us that we will have to start using Edge to open and right now I open with Internet Explorer. I don't want to have to open all my short cuts with Edge because I like IE better more because of the printing options and I get a error code in Edge: one of those 0x************* codes that is red letters on a black background that you can't even read so you can find out what it means. It does it on all 3 of my laptops and my desktop. But any way I want to be able to open my online bank site with Edge and leave the others for IE. I opened Edge and created a desktop shortcut Icon but when I opened it, it opened in IE. I can open it with Edge if I open Edge and put in the Internet Address but not if I create a desktop shortcut. Any help will be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As a long time IE user I can only suggest that you either gradually get used to Edge, OR....
Maybe find and use another browser, because …...
Although it's been long suggested that IE is going away (which seems to be a long way off yet) development on IE has ceased and as a consequence you are going to run into the same issue with other sites that you are currently experiencing with your bank.

As a workaround for now, just open your bank site in Edge and add that site to the "Favorites Bar" / Bookmark Bar.
OR
You could even set your bank site as the home page for edge so when you click the home button within Edge you'll go straight to that page
OR
Even set your bank site as the page that Edge opens with.
Either of or all of the three are easy enough to do.

AGB

Reaction score
As suggested I pinned the bank website to the taskbar so it will open in Edge. Now I have to solve the printing problem when trying to print in Edge from a web page. Keep getting 0x********** code in red over black background and can't make it out to search it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know, in some early versions of Windows 10 there were problems with printing from Edge.
Would you mind sharing your current version and build number.
Should be Version 1809, build number 17763.437 OR something close to that.

Capture.PNG

AGB

Reaction score
This was just updated yesterday (05/04/2019
Winver.jpg

And tried Printing again from Edge and this is the same error and error code:
Printer Error.jpg

I had sent a question to the HP forum and I got back there standard response of try uninstalling the printer drivers, edit the register and this and that. I responded that I tried all these things and more at no avail. I told them the HP Model and I was having the same issues not only with my desktop but also my laptop. They suggested isolating to just one of the computers ( I had already thought and done that) with do luck. If I didn't know better I think there forum sites just read the "Subject Lines" and not the body of the questions and respond from that. (Subject Lines that is). I hope you may have other suggestions or solutions to try. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I really can't offer much more in the way of help as I switched from HP to Epson printers a few years back and so far, pretty happy with that choice.

Does the printer seem to work as expected in all other applications except Edge?

Reaction score
I am using grossly outdated HP printers. Both print from edge.
Your error initially points to outdated drivers,but it seems you have tried that remedy(?)
A quick way, which sometimes works, and will save you a little investigation - hopefully, is to open the settings - Update and security, and, on the left, run the printer troubleshooter.
Otherwise, try just adding the printer again, to the options.

AGB

Reaction score
Sorry, I really can't offer much more in the way of help as I switched from HP to Epson printers a few years back and so far, pretty happy with that choice.

Does the printer seem to work as expected in all other applications except Edge?
Yes the printer works in all installed applications and IE but just not Edge.

AGB

Reaction score
I solved the problem: I uninstalled all printer drivers and uninstalled all HP Printer product applications thru "Control Panel" uninstall feature; then I ran my Glary Utility to clean the "Registry" then I went into "Regedit" and deleted all references to HP that I could find. From all "HKEY_****" classes. When I say everything I mean everywhere I could find any references to "HP, or Hewlett Packer" I then went back to the "Glary Utilities" and ran that again. I Then Restarted my Computer and went into settings, Printer and devices, and added the printer and let it run its course. Then I ran the rest of the HP Printer software for this Printer. Now it is working. At least for now. Sometimes you have to go to the extremes to get some things to work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well..... I'm happy if you're happy.
Seems like a lot, but....
I guess if you do a lot of printing from a browser and the only browser you choose to use is Edge then, it's worth it.

Ask a Question