Why does it take 3-5 minutes to open a website

Reaction score
I have noted that in the last 2-3 weeks, it takes 2 to 5 minutes to open any website. When I open MS Edge, my home page is MSN. To go to another website, I open a new tab and from there type a destination I want to reach: for example, Google.com or FDIC.com, or any other website. After I click on the url, it takes 2-5 minutes to open the website or often times all that appears is a tab that just says "BLANK". I have tried using Google, and Bing to open websites on MS Edge, with the same super slow results. I have done the same thing using Mozilla with the same results.

I have also changed my Windows10 settings to accept all cookies and accept only 3rd party cookies but it does not make a difference.

I also use Windows Defender and have a Malwarebytes Premium subscription that run constantly. I am trying to figure out with Malwarebytes to see if Malwarebytes is the cause of problems.

Might you know what might be causing the problems I am encountering and how I could resolve them?

Thank you.

Eugene Jeanne

Reaction score
sorry, it's Windows 10 Pro, version 1703. Do I need to give you the OS Build number too?

Reaction score
I cannot find a subject on Troubleshoot that addresses the problem of why it is taking 2-5 minutes on average for Windows10 and Edge to open a website after the URL is entered.

Reaction score
I just did but have no idea what these results mean:
Ping 20ms
Download speed: 85.30 mbps
Upload speed: 6.23 mbps

Reaction score
I just did but have no idea what these results mean:
Ping 20ms
Download speed: 85.30 mbps
Upload speed: 6.23 mbps
Those results are very good. It's not an issue with your internet speed. Just trying to eliminate that that as the problem.

Reaction score
I am searching the net (and it takes a long time given the time it takes to open a webpage) but cannot find anything that resembles the problem that I am encountering. But it is a real problem: it takes so long to surf that my productivity is crashing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you using any third party security suites and or third party firewall products.
Have you tried setting you DNS server address manually to
Comcast defaults.
Might be worth trying instead of relying on your router to forward DNS requests.
You might also use an elevated command prompt to flush your DNS cache to see if that helps at all
ipconfig /flushdns

Reaction score
- I am using Malwarebytes Premium and have reached out to them but no answer yet. There are no settings that I manually adjust that I can see.
- I tried to download SpyBot thinking that maybe my Surface Pro 4 has a virus that Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium might have missed but as soon as I try to download, Malwarebytes comes up with a notice that the download is infected. So squash that.
- As for the DNS server comments, I have no idea what they mean and how to do any of that. I am not a computer programmer, I have never coded in my life and do not have a computer science degree.
- Are the numbers sequence you gave me the same regardless of whether it is Comcast or AT&T or whom ever? How do I input them, and where?
- I copied ipconfig/flushdns in the Cortana "Type here to search" box on the bottom left hand side of my screen and clicked on Run but nothing happens.
- I tried to troubleshoot everything that can be troubleshot and found only 1 item: there is no proxy setting in Windows 10. I do not know what proxy setting means, why it is not in Windows 10 and why the troubleshooting of Windows 10 tells me that Windows 10 does not have proxy settings. So I do not know if a proxy is
- I have also been told that searches done through Bing or Google can slow down performance on Windows 10 so and since Bing only allows removal of 1 search at a time, that too takes a considerable amount of time to correct. Thus far, I have removed about 3 weeks of history day by day but that has had no impact on speeding the performance.
- I also went into Control Panel, searched for Performance, and changed the virtual memory to manual since the recommended setting vs. the one automatically set by Windows 10 which is lower than the recommended setting, but that did nothing after rebooting. So I switched it back to what it was, fearing that it might damage Windows 10.
- Basically I am in total darkness trying to figure out why it takes so-o-o-o- long for a website, any website to open.

I am at my wits end to understand the problem and fix it.

Reaction score
I downloaded, installed and ran the CCleaner software. Thank you for the tip. It seems to have helped a little bit though the problem is still present. Here's what I did: after opening MS Edge, homepage of MSN, I opened another tab and entered the URL .www.google.com and I clocked 2 minutes and 12 seconds for the Google page to open.

It seems that there is something that is clearly wrong but I do not know what to do.

Reaction score
Eugene Hi! The response I expect that you will receive from Malwarebytes is to run their Junk Removal Tool (JRT) This is a great tool, I have used it once, as recommended by the Malwarebytes tech. support. It does its job.
I find it strange that Malwarebytes flagged Spbot as unsafe. I also have Malwarebytes Premium and it has never interfered when running SpyBot. I think Malwarebytes is warning you that the site your downloading SpyBot from is unsafe. Try using the official site for SpyBot.

https://www.safer-networking.org/

Reaction score
Are you having any problems or slow downs using your computer with anything else other than the internet? As an example opening folders with pictures or music or anything else? Is the whole computer slow or just the internet? If it's everything you might have a failing hard drive. I have seen this in computers I have fixed. If it's just the internet I would guess that you have some type of malware, adware, or a toolbar that is slowing things down.

Reaction score
Has your ISP set a data limit on your internet connection?, it may slow down after a certain amount of internet usage?. ;)

Reaction score
I don't use the method you outline (opening more tabs for another page). But, perhaps that is not related to your problem. If I wish to open a new site, from my home site, I use the middle mouse key on the Browser icon, and open another instance.
But, it could be a graphics problem which is slowing you down. Try, instead of MSN, which is graphic intensive, a cleaner page. Suggestion, of many, could be Google.com.

Ask a Question