Is it safe to turn off all the start-up programmes?

Reaction score
I am trying to find a possible culprit that is stopping Microsoft Word, Outlook & Excel 2016 coming up in focus when using speech recognition.

What I want to know is; if I disable all the start-up programmes shown in the task manager under the start-up tab, will this be safe the next time I boot up?

Or, is there some processes/applications that you should never disable and should be left alone and if so, what ones?

I’m trying to find this culprit through a process of elimination of the start-up processes & programs that could be causing this problem of mine.

Any help with this will be gratefully appreciated.

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble.

By doing that I have found that it isn't any of the start-up processes causing the problem. May have to wait till the next version of Dragon comes out for this to be cured.

HB

Ask a Question