Is my Windows software up to date enough?

BML

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 and use Word 2010 and am looking for a way to collect a large number of scanned documents with four subjects such as:

Job Application Title.
Geographical location of job.
Date of job application.
Title of job applied for.

I have been told that I could use Excel could be used as the base document but doubt was raised as to whether my 2010 copies of Word and Excel could work with this task.

Reaction score
I was given a .pdf file as an attachment to an E-Mail. I saved the file and printed the message then scanned the message and a blank page then using Adobe Acrobat inserted the 2 pages at the beginning of the file. All that to say that maybe a PDF editor would be the way to go. Could be a much newer version of Word has PDF capability as well as acquiring from a scanner.

Excel is an excellent spreadsheet program but I don't know as it can do as desired. I just checked the free LibreOffice 6.3 Writer I have installed and it can insert a Page from file into a .pdf.
www.libreoffice.org
Basically newer programs keep adding things they can do. I still have Office 2000 on a Win10 computer but didn't install the Outlook application.

T_J

Reaction score
Hi, I have Windows 10 (1909) & MS Office Starter 2010 (Word, Excel). Might try something like this, OR NOT?

place all of your scanned documents in a folder somewhere
open Excel,
click on insert tab, select a cell (E4, example below), click on hyperlink in toolbar, select a document for that cell
fill in data for A4, B4, C4, & D4 associated with E4 (I did not enter anything for A4, B4, C4, or D4; was in a hurry)
repeat for other rows
SAVE your Excel document

can use home tab/custom sort to sort all the data. Allows multiple sort levels of data (first date, next by letter, etc.).
could click on any hyperlinks in column E to see specific document
For NEW data, could just enter new row(s) on bottom of other data and resort

I was in a hurry , and did not type correct phrase in cell D3
my hyperlinked Word document (E3) opened perfectly; could hyperlink a Word doc or PDF doc (I did not test a PDF)
I use to work on a lot of Office files; if you do something like this save couple extra copies of the Excel document , in case of emergency.

Excel.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
You use Word 2010. It is quite old.
Instead, I advise you to install the latest LibreOffice.
It is much modern software and it can read, alter, and manage newer docs and spreadsheets as well.
So use LibreOffice instead of Word 2010.

T_J

Reaction score
BML, my cheap method (above) would also be easy to keep updated. Just Cut Fulfilled positions, and Paste to rows below the Active positions. Then if the position re-opens in the future, you could re-enter it into your active data base portion. [ Office 2010 uses docx & xlsx & others]

Ask a Question